Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Andreas Sewe <an...@codetrails.com> on 2017/08/25 13:24:17 UTC

Release BCEL 6.1?

Hi,

would it be possible to release a new version of BCEL? The last release
(6.0) was over a year ago (in July 2016 [1]).

As a committer to the SpotBugs project (the successor of FindBugs), I
would like to see BCEL 6.1 out in the near future [2], as we suffer from
bug BCEL-284 [3]. Unfortunately, our last request for a BCEL 6.1 release
wasn't heard [4] and we are now considering forking BCEL [5] -- which I
consider to be a measure of last resort.

Thus, it would be great if we could see an official BCEL 6.1 release.

If you need any assistance or additional testing, I'd be happy to help out.

Best wishes,

Andreas

[1]
<http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cgav%7C1%7Cg%3A%22org.apache.bcel%22%20AND%20a%3A%22bcel%22>
[2] <https://github.com/spotbugs/spotbugs/issues/89>
[3] <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BCEL-284>
[4]
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-user/201612.mbox/ajax/%3CCAO1eWSCCQR%3Du0anpeXc6AixKfRZuSq6T2BPDYYjaPp%3Dh_S%2BN6Q%40mail.gmail.com%3E>
[5] <https://github.com/spotbugs/spotbugs/issues/327#issuecomment-323340124>

--
Codetrails GmbH
The best code possible

Robert-Bosch-Str. 7, 64293 Darmstadt
Phone: +49-6151-276-7092
Mobile: +49-170-811-3791
http://www.codetrails.com/

Managing Director: Dr. Marcel Bruch
Handelsregister: Darmstadt HRB 91940

Re: Release BCEL 6.1?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 8:53 AM, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hello Andreas,
>
> > Am 25.08.2017 um 15:24 schrieb Andreas Sewe <andreas.sewe@codetrails.com
> >:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > would it be possible to release a new version of BCEL? The last release
> > (6.0) was over a year ago (in July 2016 [1]).
> >
> > As a committer to the SpotBugs project (the successor of FindBugs), I
> > would like to see BCEL 6.1 out in the near future [2], as we suffer from
> > bug BCEL-284 [3]. Unfortunately, our last request for a BCEL 6.1 release
> > wasn't heard [4] and we are now considering forking BCEL [5] -- which I
> > consider to be a measure of last resort.
> >
> > Thus, it would be great if we could see an official BCEL 6.1 release.
> >
> > If you need any assistance or additional testing, I'd be happy to help
> out.
>
> I’ll have a look into this and come back to you. Probably on Sunday since
> I’ll be on the train then and will have some time.

Great news! Thank you B!

Gary

Re: Release BCEL 6.1?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 12 September 2017 at 14:05, Andreas Sewe <an...@codetrails.com> wrote:
> Hello Benedikt,
>
>>> is there anything I can do to help?
>>
>> No, not really. There where some discussions on the ML regarding breaking changes. I’m not sure we reached consensus there. I’ll probably go an push out RC1 to see how people feel about the breaking changes. Would be nice, I you could share your thoughts about that too.
>
> pushing out an RC1 first is a good idea (does "pushing out" include
> deploying to Maven Central?).

No, only formal releases go to MC...

> As SpotBugs uses BCEL quite heavily, this
> would give us the opportunity to report any breakage early.

... However the RC will be available at a public URL for devs to test.

The URL is not published to the general public.
If you join the dev list you can help to test the RC from the info in
the RC VOTE.

CI builds are also normally available via the ASF snapshot repo.
Ask on the dev list if you cannot find them.

Re: Release BCEL 6.1?

Posted by Andreas Sewe <an...@codetrails.com>.
Hello Benedikt,

>> is there anything I can do to help?
>
> No, not really. There where some discussions on the ML regarding breaking changes. I’m not sure we reached consensus there. I’ll probably go an push out RC1 to see how people feel about the breaking changes. Would be nice, I you could share your thoughts about that too.

pushing out an RC1 first is a good idea (does "pushing out" include
deploying to Maven Central?). As SpotBugs uses BCEL quite heavily, this

Re: Release BCEL 6.1?

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello Andreas,

> Am 11.09.2017 um 13:57 schrieb Andreas Sewe <an...@codetrails.com>:
>
> Hi Benedikt,
>
>> I’ll have a look on my next cycle.
>
> is there anything I can do to help?

No, not really. There where some discussions on the ML regarding breaking changes. I’m not sure we reached consensus there. I’ll probably go an push out RC1 to see how people feel about the breaking changes. Would be nice, I you could share your thoughts about that too.

> We at SpotBugs are holding our breath [1] for an official BCEL 6.1.0
> release, which we would like to include in our own upcoming 3.1.0
> release -- rather than including a self-built BCEL 6.1.0 snapshot.

Sorry, I’m doing this on my spare time and I had some busy weeks lately. I’ll try to get to it this weekend.

Regards,
Benedikt

Re: Release BCEL 6.1?

Posted by Andreas Sewe <an...@codetrails.com>.
Hi Benedikt,

Re: Release BCEL 6.1?

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi Stephan,

Re: Release BCEL 6.1?

Posted by Stephan Herrmann <st...@berlin.de>.
Hi Benedikt,

I may be too late for 6.1., but I just reallized that my patch & test in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BCEL-267 has never received an answer.

Would you mind having a quick look?

thanks,
Stephan