Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2006/11/13 18:57:51 UTC

siteDirectory and site.xml

Hi all,

I am trying to specify a site descriptor for a legacy project that does
not have a standard maven layout, and so I need to define that site.xml
should be found in ${basedir}/site/site.xml.

Apparently the siteDirectory parameter within the site plugin is used to
specify where the site.xml file can be found, but this isn't stated
explicitly in any docs I have found to date.

In this case the site.xml file is being ignored (it's contents have no
effect, and the stdout of mvn site makes no reference whatsoever to
site.xml).

First question: does the siteDirectory parameter specify the location of
the site.xml file, in addition to the apt, fml and xdoc directories, or am
I barking up the wrong tree?

Is there some kind of debugging strategy I can use to confirm where maven
is looking for the site.xml file, if at all?

I have configured siteDirectory as follows:

  <build>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
       <configuration>
         <siteDirectory>${basedir}/site/</siteDirectory>
       </configuration>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>

Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards,
Graham

Re: Closing bugs [was Re: siteDirectory and site.xml]

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Richard van der Hoff wrote:
> Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>> Graham Leggett wrote:
>>> Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>>>>
>  >>> [MSITE-91]

>>> Is there any chance of a release soon?
>>>
>>> The bug was fixed in April/May, and it's now November :( Are there
>>> any showstoppers outstanding on this plugin?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Graham
>>
>> The bug was fixed this weekend :)
>> So, no it hasn't been released yet.
>
> Just my opinion here, but it seems wrong to 'close' a bug when there's
> no release on the horizon, because:

Thanks for your input Richard.

> (a) it might be closed to you, but if the fix depends on maven 2.1 it's
> as good as useless to real-world users. I think that you're not giving
> an accurate representation of the quality of the current release version
> (and hence the urgency of a release) by closing bugs as soon as the fix
> is committed to svn.

The fix that was made is in itself not dependent on Maven 2.1, but other
changes have been made to the site plugin that has created such a
dependency.

> (b) if I see a bug, I want to be able to search jira for it, whether
> it's going to be fixed in the next release or not. You need a
> distinction between bugs which were fixed before the current release,
> and those which will only be fixed in the next release.

You can search for unresolved as well as closed issues in JIRA. JIRA
also has two version fields that helps to understand which versions an
issued affects and in which version it was or will be solved. They are
called "Affects Version/s" and "Fix Version/s"

Regarding MSITE-91 it has Affects Version/s set to 2.0-beta-4 and Fix
Version/s is set to 2.0. A look at the road map give an overview of
which issues goes into which version.

> Isn't this what Status: Resolved is for?

"Resolved" can be used to indicate that the developers think that the
issue is solved but that they want to get feedback from the reporter,
before closing the issue. But this is of course a matter of taste.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: Closing bugs [was Re: siteDirectory and site.xml]

Posted by Richard van der Hoff <ri...@mxtelecom.com>.
Brett Porter wrote [and Dennis Lundberg said similar things]:
> Given this, I don't see any need to change the way we use the closed
> state or reintroduce the resolved workflow step.

Hrm, yes, fair enough, you're probably right. It was just a thought...

--
Richard van der Hoff <ri...@mxtelecom.com>
Telephony Gateways Project Manager

Re: Closing bugs [was Re: siteDirectory and site.xml]

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 16/11/2006, at 3:25 AM, Richard van der Hoff wrote:
> Just my opinion here, but it seems wrong to 'close' a bug when
> there's no release on the horizon, because:
>
> (a) it might be closed to you, but if the fix depends on maven 2.1
> it's as good as useless to real-world users. I think that you're
> not giving an accurate representation of the quality of the current
> release version (and hence the urgency of a release) by closing
> bugs as soon as the fix is committed to svn.

The dependency on maven 2.1 is a flaw, it should be possible to
release the plugin earlier than that.

> (b) if I see a bug, I want to be able to search jira for it,
> whether it's going to be fixed in the next release or not. You need
> a distinction between bugs which were fixed before the current
> release, and those which will only be fixed in the next release.

By default, jira searches closed bugs too, so you can use the plugin
version as your guide to availability.

Obviously, we need to improve on timely releases, especially for
plugins (and its a topic that has already been beaten to death here
recently - we are certainly working on it, and open to suggestions on
better tracking progress in general).

Given this, I don't see any need to change the way we use the closed
state or reintroduce the resolved workflow step.

- Brett

Closing bugs [was Re: siteDirectory and site.xml]

Posted by Richard van der Hoff <ri...@mxtelecom.com>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Graham Leggett wrote:
> Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>
>> There has not been any official release of the site-plugin yet, that
>> incorporates this fix.
>>
>> You can build the plugin yourself from source, by downloading it from
>> SVN. Then you just run "mvn install". You alse need to bump the
>> version number for the site-plugin in your pom to 2.0-SNAPSHOT.
>
> Is there any chance of a release soon?
>
> The bug was fixed in April/May, and it's now November :( Are there any
> showstoppers outstanding on this plugin?
>
> Regards,
> Graham

The bug was fixed this weekend :)
So, no it hasn't been released yet.

As for upcoming releases and show stoppers, I would like to point you to
the road map in JIRA:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSITE?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: siteDirectory and site.xml

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Graham,

No soon. The current site plugin needs Maven 2.1 and not 2.0.x.
The next release of Maven is 2.0.6, attempted  for the end of the year.

Cheers,

Vincent

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.