Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Brian Neal <br...@aceshardware.com> on 2000/03/07 06:17:33 UTC

general/5838: HTTPD becomes unresponsive

>Number:         5838
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       HTTPD becomes unresponsive
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Mon Mar 06 21:20:00 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     brian@aceshardware.com
>Release:        1.3.11

The httpd process doesn't die, but given time, apache will stop accepting requests.  This happens on an almost regular basis and I can't hardly turn my back on this software.  I kill/restart the process nightly, but that doesn't always seem to prevent this from happening.  I don't know if it's an issue with Apache or Sun's TCP/IP implementation or what, but I am wondering at this point if I would not be better off to go with a commercial solution with support, etc.
>How-To-Repeat:
Start up Apache on a similar config.  I'm not entirely sure it's reproducable, but assuming it's a memory leak somewhere, it should be.
>Fix:
Maybe this is a sun problem, or maybe it's your problem, I don't know.
 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]

Re: general/5838: HTTPD becomes unresponsive

Posted by Brian Neal <br...@aceshardware.com>.
On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> Hmm, given that this is not seen on identical hardware/OS combinations
> under serious load there migh be more. Just to cut down the playground
> to a managable size:
>
> 0.	Is it a specific page or URL which it always hangs on ?
> 1.	What sun patches did you (already) apply
> 2.	What mdoules have you compiled in ?
> 3.	If you do 'truss -p XXX' or 'gdb -p XXX' on
> 	the offending process what is it doing ?
> 4.	Are any of your (log) files on NFS ?
> 5.	Are you using (nis(+))
> 6.	What other services are you running on that
> 	machine ? Do they have the same issue.

I neglected to mention that I'm also using PHP.  After spending some
serious time looking through their bug database and mailing lists, I am
beginning to suspect this is the culprit.  There are plenty of reports of
various memory leaks, etc. in the database.  In the meantime, I have
installed 1.3.12 w/ a new version of PHP to see what happens.

> From your msg it is unclear wether or not you are looking
> for commercial support. The web page will give you a list
> of companies happily doing this.

Yeah...that's what I was thinking about...I will check out the page.

Thanks,

-Brian Neal
Webmaster, Ace's Hardware
http://www.aceshardware.com/