Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org> on 2001/08/19 11:48:15 UTC

Re: Hot swapping of blocks

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001 20:11, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Jesktop has (so far) two Window Managers.  They are separate blocks
> based on the same WindowManager interface and sharing code.  To
> reconfigure the choice of Window manager, it's necessary to recompile
> Jesktop (after editing the source of  assembly.xml).
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Should editing the unzipped sar's assembly.xml acheive the same?

At the moment yes. I just started work on a GUI about 3 hours ago and a new
deployment system. If that works out then I am not sure ... still
experimenting.

> 2) Could there be a way of programatically switching the block?  This
> would require of cause a reboot (of sorts) of Avalon.

It will be enabled ... eventually. Not sure when though. Depends on how
things evolve. I really have limited time at the moment.  It is something
needed for me to support my needs. Eventually blocks will be able to be
dynamically updated from urls. But what you are talking about
(reassemply/recomposing) is a step required beforehand. Before recomposing we
need to have a management system implemented so that we can actually trigger
recomposing ;)

> Regards,
>
> - Paul

Cheers,

Pete

Re: Hot swapping of blocks

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.

>>1) Should editing the unzipped sar's assembly.xml acheive the same?
>>

>At the moment yes. I just started work on a GUI about 3 hours ago and a new
>deployment system. If that works out then I am not sure ... still
>experimenting.

Do tell ... sounds interesting.  I think perhaps some API for internal
hot configuration is the best ticket, with a number ways of a)
requesting changes to assemby configuration and b) approving them (sysop
concept).

>>2) Could there be a way of programatically switching the block?  This
>>would require of cause a reboot (of sorts) of Avalon.
>>

>It will be enabled ... eventually. Not sure when though. Depends on how
>things evolve. I really have limited time at the moment.  It is something
>needed for me to support my needs. Eventually blocks will be able to be
>dynamically updated from urls. But what you are talking about
>(reassemply/recomposing) is a step required beforehand. Before recomposing we
>need to have a management system implemented so that we can actually trigger
>recomposing ;)

Peter, don't worry on my account.  Just planning ahead and the feature's
not need for many months for Jesktop.

More important for me would be ...

  void shutdownBlock(Block block);
  void shutdownServerApp(Block block); // one of the blocks from the sar
is the key
  void shutdownAvalon(Block requestee);

... as system.exit(0) from inside a block is ugly ;-)

Regards,

- Paul H