Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Suma Shivaprasad <su...@apache.org> on 2017/06/06 20:06:03 UTC

[VOTE] Graduate Apache Atlas Project from Incubator

Dear Incubator members,

Following the discussion in Atlas community on graduating Apache Atlas from
incubation to a Top Level Project, starting this voting thread within
the incubator
community. Apache Atlas entered into incubation during May 2015 and has
come a long way since its incubation - features like classification based
security for Hive/HDFS/HBase/Kafka, LDAP based authentication, Knox SSO,
 re-designed/simplified UI and APIs, HA support, Graph abstraction,
addition of Sqoop/Storm/Falcon connectors have made Apache Atlas  a core
platform for Data governance.

There has been a consistent growth in the Atlas community since incubation:
- PPMC has elected 15 individuals as committers of which 3 were also
included in PPMC
- PMC/committers are spread across 12 organizations
- more than 62 contributors were added to the project

PPMC also has done 5 successful releases under the guidance of mentors
demonstrating their knowledge of ASF's IP policies.

Voting was conducted within Apache Atlas Community to graduate
 to a Top Level Project and has passed with 12 +1 binding votes , no 0
or -­1 votes - https://s.apache.org/94xI.

Apache Atlas has shown great progress and prospect to become a true TLP.
Following project summary reflects its accomplishments.

Please vote on the Project resolution that is found in bottom to graduate
Apache Atlas from Incubator to Top Level Project.

[ ] +1 Graduate Apache Atlas from the Incubator.
[ ] +0 No opinion
[ ] -1 Don't graduate Apache Atlas from the Incubator ( please provide
the reason)

This VOTE will be opened for next 72 hours.

Thanks all Mentors and Apache Atlas Project members for their support and
contributions.

Here is my vote +1 (binding)

Project Summary:

=============
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/atlas.html

Project website:
=============

http://atlas.incubator.apache.org

Project Documentation:
===================

Home - http://atlas.incubator.apache.org/index.html
Architecture - http://atlas.incubator.apache.org/Architecture.html
Installation guide - http://atlas.incubator.apach
e.org/InstallationSteps.html
QuickStart Guide- http://atlas.incubator.apache.org/QuickStart.html
REST API - http://atlas.incubator.apache.org/api/v2/index.html
Atlas Release Guide - https://cwiki.apache.org/con
fluence/display/ATLAS/Developer+Resources

Project maturity Assessment:
=======================

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ATLAS/Apache+
Atlas+Project+Maturity+Model

Proposed PMC size: 33

Total number of committers  : 33 members
Total number of contributors : 62 members

PMC affiliation (* indicated chair)

* Hortonworks (13)
   IBM (3)
   Aetna(4)
   Freestone (3)
   Oracle(2)
   Target (1)
   Dataguise(1)
   Inmobi(1)
   JPMC(1)
   MPR(1)
   SAP(1)
   SparklineData(1)
   Others(1)

1676 commits on master
80 contributors across all branches
Dev list averaged ~500-800 msgs/month in 2017
User list was created recently in April 2017. Hence not considering stats
for this.
1859 issues created

Committer¹s affiliation:
===================
* Hortonworks (13)
   IBM (3)
   Aetna(4)
   Freestone (3)
   Oracle(2)
   Target (1)
   Dataguise(1)
   Inmobi(1)
   JPMC(1)
   MPR(1)
   SAP(1)
   SparklineData(1)
   Others(1)

Apache Atlas Top Level Project Resolution:
====================================

Establish the Apache Atlas Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation¹s purpose to establish a
Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of
open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public, related
to a data management platform That provides real-time, consistent access
to data-intensive applications throughout widely distributed cloud
architectures.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
(PMC), to be known as the "Apache Atlas Project", be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further
RESOLVED,that the Apache Atlas Project be and hereby is responsible for
the creation and maintenance of software related to a data management
platform that provides real-time, consistent access to data-intensive
applications throughout widely distributed cloud architectures.

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Atlas" be and
hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at the
direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache Atlas
Project, and to have primary responsibility for management of the projects
within the scope of responsibility of the Apache Atlas Project; and be it
Further.

>RESOLVED,that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
>appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache Atlas Project:

Aaron Dossett dossett@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Andrew Ahn aa@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Arun C. Murthy acmurthy@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Apoorv Naik apoorvnaik@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Ayub Pathan ayubpathan@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Barbara Stortz bstortz@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Chris Hyzer tjbchris@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Daniel Markwat dmarkwat@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Darshan Kumar darshankumar@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Dave Kantor dkantor@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Dennis Fusaro dfusaro@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Greg Senia gsenia@aetna.com <ma...@aetna.com>
Harish Butani rhbutani@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Hemanth Yamijala yhemanth@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Jeffrey Hagelberg jnhagelberg@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Jitendra Pandey jitendra@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Jon Maron jmaron@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Kalyani Kalshikar kalyanikashikar@apache.org <mailto:kalyanikashikar@apache
.org>
Keval Bhatt kbhatt kbhatt@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Madhan Neethiraj madhan@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Mitch Schussler mitchschussler@apache.org <ms...@apache.org> <mailto:
mschussler@apache.org>
Neeru Gupta guptaneeru@us.ibm.com <ma...@us.ibm.com>
Nixon Rodrigues nixon@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Sarath Subramanian sarath@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Shwetha GS  shwethags@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Srikanth Sundarrajan sriksun@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Suma Shivaprasad sumasai@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Suresh Srinivas suresh@apache.org <ss...@apache.org> <mailto:
suresh@apache.org <ss...@apache.org>>
Tom Beerbower tbeerbower@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Venkat Ranganathan venkatrangan@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Venkatesh Seetharam venkatesh@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Vimal Sharma svimal2106@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli vinodkv@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that "Madhan Neethiraj" be
appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Atlas, to serve in
accordance with and
subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it further
RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Atlas PMC be and hereby is tasked with
the creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open development and
increased participation in the Apache Atlas Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Atlas Project be and hereby is tasked with the
migration of the Apache Incubator Atlas podling; and be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
Atlas polling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator Project are hereafter
discharged.

Thanks
Suma

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Atlas Project from Incubator

Posted by Andrew Ahn <aa...@gmail.com>.
congrats !

--
- AA

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Atlas Project from Incubator

Posted by Suma Shivaprasad <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi sebb,

Have removed 0.7.1-incubating as well since there are no future releases
planned on this release line.

Thanks
Suma

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Suma Shivaprasad <su...@gmail.com>.
Sebb,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Suma Shivaprasad <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 (binding)

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Atlas Project from Incubator

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
+1 (from the unprivileged bench)

Best regards,

Pierre Smits