Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by James Fraser <Ja...@veritec.com.au> on 2017/08/15 05:47:22 UTC

Identify if a machine is online

Hi All

Just wondering if there was a possible way for Guacamole to display if a machine is online/reachable from the Guacamole server.

E.g. a lot of our servers are test servers and reside within Azure subscriptions, due to the nature of Azure billing it is cost effective to power off these machines.

Some of the Dev's have requested the ability to view if the machine is online or offline without visiting the Azure Portal

Is this something that is on the horizon or has anyone attempted engineering this feature?

Cheers

James Fraser * Microsoft Systems Engineer

RE: Identify if a machine is online

Posted by James Fraser <Ja...@veritec.com.au>.
The machines are powered off automatically on a nightly basis, lots of these servers are just available for building applications or testing SQL or Websites etc.
The automation script used to power them off has the ability to power them on, the reason this is not done is because if a server is not going to be used then it should remain off to stop charges being incurred

These servers can be powered on by a developer (who doesn’t have admin access in guac, no shell access etc) via webhooks.

In most scenarios a server or group of servers (eg. DC, SQL, WEB) are all isolated to their own network with only HTTPS access available to the web server, the developers are accessing these servers via guacamole.

If we had machines running that were not utilised we would incur thousands of dollars in idle compute.

I was just curios if it was possible to make this visible, this Is a pretty niche scenario and probably not something that has even been requested in the past?

I have had some thoughts but have been to busy to play around with anything.

My potential thoughts were:

In the interface where it states – Number of connections a server has in use could potentially display OFFLINE if a ping request from the guacamole server was unable to talk to the endpoint, this then changes the SQL DB to display that message via a cron job.

Anyways thanks for the replies.

James Fraser • Microsoft Systems Engineer

Posted by Tomas Maggio <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi James,

Posted by Tomas Maggio <to...@gmail.com>.
That would be a terrible idea on a Windows machine.

The best would be to check for TCP/UDP 3389.

Cheers

Regards,

Tomas Maggio
+64 22 040 9517

Posted by "Евгений Н. Жуков" <eu...@gmail.com>.
Ping is bad idea due possible firewalls or icmp routing issues. The best is
a check for open vnc port

вт, 15 авг. 2017 г. в 13:50, brian mullan <bm...@gmail.com>:

> Why can't you just PING those machines?  If the don't answer they aren't
> online.
>
> On Aug 15, 2017 1:47 AM, "James Fraser" <Ja...@veritec.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>

>> Just wondering if there was a possible way for Guacamole to display if a
>> machine is online/reachable from the Guacamole server.
>>

>> E.g. a lot of our servers are test servers and reside within Azure
>> subscriptions, due to the nature of Azure billing it is cost effective to
>> power off these machines.
>>

>> Some of the Dev’s have requested the ability to view if the machine is
>> online or offline without visiting the Azure Portal
>>

>> Is this something that is on the horizon or has anyone attempted
>> engineering this feature?
>>

>> Cheers
>>

>> *James Fraser • Microsoft Systems Engineer*
>>

> --
Евгений Н. Жуков
+79534155676, (83145)94800
ICQ: 52108310 skype: xrt_nn