Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2008/09/30 13:59:56 UTC

2.2.10 (Was: Re: STATUS file, 2.2.10 and voting)

I'm looking to T&R 2.2.10 this week, for a release early next
week... Complain now :)

Re: 2.2.10 T&R on Oct 7

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

On 10/07/2008 04:54 PM, Greg Ames wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 5:11 AM, Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>>    The
>>> problem is that they all stay ESTABLISHED for KeepAliveTimeout seconds.
>>> was expecting to see 2 of them drop after 30 seconds.  Any suggestions?
>> You need one more request after 30 seconds to trigger this since the
>> reslist
>> maintenance function only runs when a backend connection was given back to
>> the pool.
>

> ok.  I did that and it works as expected, including smax=0.  +1
>
> Thanks for the balancer tutorial, Rüdiger.

Thanks for reviewing Greg.

Regards

Rüdiger

Re: 2.2.10 T&R on Oct 7

Posted by Greg Ames <am...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 5:11 AM, Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org> wrote:

> >    The
> > problem is that they all stay ESTABLISHED for KeepAliveTimeout seconds.
> > was expecting to see 2 of them drop after 30 seconds.  Any suggestions?
>
> You need one more request after 30 seconds to trigger this since the
> reslist
> maintenance function only runs when a backend connection was given back to
> the pool.

ok.  I did that and it works as expected, including smax=0.  +1

Thanks for the balancer tutorial, Rüdiger.
Greg

Re: 2.2.10 T&R on Oct 7

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

Re: 2.2.10 T&R on Oct 7

Posted by Greg Ames <am...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org> wrote:

> Thanks for reviewing. First of all I guess you should increase the
> KeepAliveTimeout
> to a large value like 5 minutes to make observations easier. Furthermore I
> would increase
> the ttl parameter of your BalancerMember to something like 30.
> The above configuration makes only sense if you are using a threaded MPM
> like worker / event / WINNT
> with more than 2 threads per process.
> Then start your httpd with a limitation to one process (-X or ServerLimit
> 1) and try to do
> 3 requests to /proxy in parallel e.g. with telnet or nc. Afterwards you
> should
> have 3 backend connections of which one should vanish about 30 seconds
> after your requests.

ok, KeepAliveTimeout 300 makes a big difference.  But I haven't been able to
observe smax and ttl working.  WIth this,

<Proxy balancer://mycluster>
BalancerMember http://localhost:8093 keepalive=on smax=2 ttl=30
</Proxy>
ProxyPass /proxy balancer://mycluster/

KeepAliveTimeout 300

...and using ab -c 4 to drive it, I now see 4 back end connections.  The
problem is that they all stay ESTABLISHED for KeepAliveTimeout seconds.  I
was expecting to see 2 of them drop after 30 seconds.  Any suggestions?

thanks,
Greg

Re: 2.2.10 T&R on Oct 7

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

Re: 2.2.10 T&R on Oct 7

Posted by Greg Ames <am...@gmail.com>.

Re: 2.2.10 T&R on Oct 7

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

2.2.10 T&R on Oct 7

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Subj says it all...

Re: 2.2.10 (Was: Re: STATUS file, 2.2.10 and voting)

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Oct 2, 2008, at 10:21 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Sep 30, 2008, at 7:59 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
>> I'm looking to T&R 2.2.10 this week, for a release early next
>> week... Complain now :)
>>

> There is one small proposed patch in STATUS that is lacking
> 1 single vote to be folded into 2.2.10... Anyone have cycles
> to look, test and vote?

FWIW, I'm hoping to say a 1/2 today, so the T&R will likely
happen Monday. This gives us the weekend to review the
remaining proposed backport as well as do some prelim testing
before the tag. Note which versions of APR/APU I intend
to bundle (1.3.3/1.3.4)

Re: 2.2.10 (Was: Re: STATUS file, 2.2.10 and voting)

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.