Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Logan Scott <lo...@sqlist.com> on 2010/03/05 04:56:10 UTC

Tomcat 6 NoClassDefFoundError: oracle/jdbc/pool/OracleDataSource

Hello.

I am a new subscriber.

I have used Tomcat 5.5 without errors for almost two years, but I am still a novice at modifying the default configuration.

I have twenty servers with an identical configuration.

I have just upgraded one of my servers to Tomcat 6.

I have verified that the only change is Tomcat -- all other server config details remain unchanged from tomcat 5.5, including a minimalist server.xml file.

Also using Oracle 11g, Java 5, Apache 2.0.44, and the JK connector (though I am not sure which version connector).

The java class is called with a jsp include statement like this:

<jsp:include page="/javaclass1" flush="true" />

What configuration chances may be needed for an upgrade to Tomcat 6?

Best regards,
Logan Scott

RE: Tomcat 6 NoClassDefFoundError: oracle/jdbc/pool/OracleDataSource

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Logan Scott [mailto:logan@sqlist.com]
> Subject: Tomcat 6 NoClassDefFoundError:
> oracle/jdbc/pool/OracleDataSource
>
> I have verified that the only change is Tomcat -- all other server
> config details remain unchanged from tomcat 5.5, including a minimalist
> server.xml file.

If you used the Tomcat 5.5 file structure for your 6.0 server, you've created a problem.  The directory structure is simplified in 6.0.x, so that if you're using Tomcat's connection pooling, the JDBC jar needs to be in Tomcat's lib directory, not in common/lib or shared/lib (they no longer exist).

> What configuration chances may be needed for an upgrade to Tomcat 6?

Very few - if you update the distributed Tomcat 6.0.x .xml files, and not blindly copy over the ones from 5.5.  Documentation is here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/migration.html

Tell us your exact Tomcat level, post the <Resource> element you're using (if any), tell us where that <Resource> element is located, and the name and location of the JDBC jar you're using.  Wouldn't hurt to supply the actual stack trace for the error from the logs (all parts; there are usually at least two).

 - Chuck