Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com> on 2005/04/15 16:56:00 UTC

Does -r reject or discard

We're using spamass-milter with "-r 10".  Does this reject the message
(causing Sendmail to send a reject) or just discard it? If it's a
reject, how can I change it to a discard?

I'm asking because I'm seeing stuff in our outgoing mail queue that
looks like reject messages.

--

    Steve

Re: Does -r reject or discard

Posted by Ed Kasky <ed...@esson.net>.
At 07:56 AM Friday, 4/15/2005, you wrote -=>
>We're using spamass-milter with "-r 10".  Does this reject the message
>(causing Sendmail to send a reject) or just discard it? If it's a reject,
>how can I change it to a discard?
>
>I'm asking because I'm seeing stuff in our outgoing mail queue that looks
>like reject messages.

Neither.  From the man page:

-r, --report  Report message as spam

Spamassassin does not handle the rejection or deletion of email.  If you
are using sendmail and procmail, then you would create a procmail recipe to
accomplish the actual handling of the mail based on your criteria for
rejection/deletion.

However, as has been discussed on this list, automatic rejection based on a
spam score alone is not advisable if you want to prevent rejecting false
positives.  I still get an occasional false positive.

Ed Kasky
~~~~~~~~~
Randomly Generated Quote (333 of 477):
If you have a psychic fair, do you have to advertise?

Re: Does -r reject or discard

Posted by Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com>.
Todd Lyons wrote:
> Steven Stern wanted us to know:
>

>>We're using spamass-milter with "-r 10".  Does this reject the message
>>(causing Sendmail to send a reject) or just discard it? If it's a
>>reject, how can I change it to a discard?
>

> It rejects it at the SMTP level before sendmail ever accepts it, so the
> sending MTA is responsible for generating the bounce message, not your
> machine.
>

>>I'm asking because I'm seeing stuff in our outgoing mail queue that
>>looks like reject messages.
>

> That means that something that your system tried to send something and
> some other MTA rejected the message.

Thanks to everyone.  Turns out this was a false alarm. The stuff in the
outgoing mail queue as an artifact of a side effect of a screw up in
main mail server. The edge server couldn't relay to the Exchange server
that hosts the mail accounts and the messages I saw were the "couldn't
deliver for 4 hours" messages that were being bounced back to spam
messages that were below the rejection threshold.

--

    Steve

RE: Does -r reject or discard

Posted by martin smith <ma...@ntlworld.com>.

Hi Steve

-r option tells sendmail to reject the message if it exceeds a given score.

Best I can see u can do is redirect a tagged msg with -b maybe to a none
excistent address, but that would be at whatever score u have spamassassin
set to tag spam

Martin