Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Brian Burch <br...@pingtoo.com> on 2018/12/02 05:28:51 UTC

Re: heads up: 2.11.0-M1 release vote next week

I am deliberately top-posting because I will try to rephrase both the
original paragraphs (quoted below and subsequently modified). I must
confess I am still not 100% sure whether I fully understand all the
wrinkles of what you intend to say! Let this be a clean start and we can
snip out the old history if any further discussion is needed...

Here is your (our?) latest version, quoted from
https://jspwiki-wiki.apache.org/Wiki.jsp?page=NewIn2.11:-

"JSPWiki tries to follow semantic version, meaning that, f.ex., a 2.10.0
to 2.10.3 upgrade should be transparent (a "minor" release). However,
going from 2.10.whatever to 2.11.0 (a "major" release) means there can
be some backwards incompatible changes; again, f.ex., something like
requiring a higher Java version to run or compile JSPWiki. Those changes
should be clearly described on the appropiate NewIn.. page, so you are
able to know what to expect when upgrading.

That said, the M# is only there to note that the release has happened in
the middle of a transition to a "major" release (from X.Y to X.Y+1), so
next M# releases could still have breaking changes (with X.Y), and still
retain the release numbering, until X.Y+1 gets released. In any case, M#
releases are as production-ready as any other JSPWiki release. This
label does not mean that these releases are incomplete, or only for the
brave, or in beta or something along those lines."

... and here is my suggested rewording:-

JSPWiki follows a semantic version identifier naming convention. A minor
release upgrade from (say) 2.10.0 to 2.10.3 ought to be be transparent.
However, a major release upgrade from (say) 2.10.3 to 2.11.0 is very
likely to break compatibility with the earlier release. This might be
something like requiring a higher release of java to compile or execute
the code. You should always refer to the appropriate "NewIn" page in
this wiki to familiarise yourself with the change as part of planning
for an upgrade to a new major release.

That said, while a new major release is under development, it might
prove appropriate to break compatibility in some way without releasing a
new major version. In such a case, this new milestone (intermediate)
release will be given an M# identification such as 2.10.0-M1.

M# releases are as production-ready as any other JSPWiki release, so the
label does not mean the release is incomplete, or only for the brave, or
in beta, or something along those lines. Often an M# release will change
an internal API, which will affect associated code such as plugins, or
it might alter some configuration parameters. You should check the
"NewIn" page before upgrading to an M# release, but not be concerned
about its stability.

Juan Pablo, you will find nearly all of your original words in my
suggested new version, along with your replies to my questions. However,
I am still a little concerned that I have failed to express the whole
set of concepts accurately. I won't be upset if you change it in any
way, or even decide to ignore it!

I look forward to reading the latest version, and the "NewIn" page, as
well as testing the new milestone release soon. I hope to find enough
time this week to help with the pre-release evluation.

Regards,

Brian

Posted by Brian Burch <br...@pingtoo.com>.
On 4/12/18 6:11 am, Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> I've just updated the page with your changes so hopefully all is clearer
> now :-) I'm thinking that the next logical evolution would be to put that
> section on a new "release model" (or whatever) page, along with the release
> train, semantic version and any other related theme that would fit in
> there. IIRC, we haven't those things written down except on MLs threads..

I guess you decided my reworded section reflects reality, or the
intention of reality?

The new page sounds like a good idea. I don't know how many new
developers, or end users, would benefit from an improved documentation
structure.

In my experience with many open source projects (not to even mention
proprietary ones), I often "drop in" to research a new release when I
hit a problem doing something extra, or because of collateral damage
from upgrading something else. I hate ploughing back through raw release
notes as my first exposure to the internals of a package... it
encourages hypochondria!

> In any case, thanks for your patience + suggestions!

I am pleased to put something back into a valued project that my family
use daily.

Looking forward to testing the new release soon, but don't lose sleep to
save a day or two!

Brian

Posted by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi Brian,