Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Bert Van Kets <be...@vankets.com> on 2002/05/26 23:16:12 UTC

Browser checkout

Hi all,
before I go on optimizing the page I created, I would like you to test it
on your browsers and report me the problems you get.  If possible send a
screendump please.
So far it's been tested on Netscape 4.08, Opera 5, Opera 6, IE5.0, IE 6,
Mozilla RC2 and lynx 2.8.3.  The page and text are perfectly scalable and
viewable with images off.  No CSS has been used so far, but I suggest it is
used for the content and the menu only (CSS1 only, of course).
You can find it at http://www.dream-models.com/forrest/
I am curious for your reactions.
Bert

P.S. I had to cheat a little at one place to get it right.  The one who can
find it will get .....
recognition for it ;-)

"My spelling is Wobbly.  It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters
  get in the wrong places." A. A. Milne (1882-1958)

Re: Browser checkout

Posted by Bert Van Kets <be...@vankets.com>.
Hi Rob,

At 17:12 26/05/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Bert,
>
>It looks decent (not fond of the design...) on the OS X (IE5.1.4, MozRC1,
>Nav6 - also used win2000IE6 as a reference). There are a few minor things:
>
>[I can send/post screen grabs if you want]
>
>1. the content area has no padding or margin between the top line of text
>and the page numbering row (light blue). They butt up to each other.

That's because I simply added text in the content part.  I did not use a
<P> or <h2> tag.  No problem.  This will be solved by itself once the real
content is put in there.

>2. there seems to be too much padding between nav items on the left in IE,
>but too little in Moz/Nav
>-- all seem to indent too much

I know, but that can't be fixed in HTML.  It's the difference in which
these browsers interpret the <ul> tag.  CSS can help here.  Besides, I was
pretty sure the menu system would be built up in a different way.  The
design from Stefano clearly suggests a dynamic menu (using client side
JavaScript?).  Any opinions from the group?

>3. text seems larger on the mac

That's normal.  The Mac will use the Helvetica font while the PC will use
the Arial one.  I will change the Arial and Helvetica fonts around.  This
should cure it.  Check my mail on browsers I'm going to send after this
one, please.

>4. there is at least one font tag

Guess you didn't finish this sentence (?)  Let me know.

>All in all it looks good. I would suggest dumping the rounded corners.
>There is no real benefit and they require many nested tables (table for
>each tab...).

Yep, it was a real challenge. I'm actually proud of the result.  At a given
point I really doubted that I was going to be able to get it done.  The
design is not an easy one and is indeed not "code friendly".

Re: Browser checkout

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Hi Bert,

Re: Browser checkout

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Bert Van Kets wrote:
> Hi all,
> before I go on optimizing the page I created, I would like you to test it
> on your browsers and report me the problems you get.  If possible send a
> screendump please.
> So far it's been tested on Netscape 4.08, Opera 5, Opera 6, IE5.0, IE 6,
> Mozilla RC2 and lynx 2.8.3.  The page and text are perfectly scalable and
> viewable with images off.  No CSS has been used so far, but I suggest it is
> used for the content and the menu only (CSS1 only, of course).
> You can find it at http://www.dream-models.com/forrest/
> I am curious for your reactions.
> Bert

Thanks Bert, it displays and re-sizes fine for me on Linux with
Mozilla-0.9.9 and Netscape 4.79

I have not done any real testing, just a quick look with my eyes.
Nor have i worried too much about the HTML code at this stage.

I added some more dummy text into menu items, page content, and
a link to search help in the search box. The various components
of the page do re-size themselves properly to accommodate this.

I do agree with Rob, that there is no need for complex rounded
corners. I will start a separate discussion about the general
look-and-feel.

--David