Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Vinayakumar B <vi...@apache.org> on 2019/02/14 06:27:01 UTC

Including Original Author in git commits.

Hi all,

Right now we are committing with commitrer name as author and adding
contributor name in commit message. This way of committing will not reflect
in contributors git profile.

I believe current way of crediting.. is based on SVN days..

Since now all apache repos are following git.. we can use git
functionalities (already some are using PRs) and use original author name
in commits and use signed of message for committers.

Any thoughts?

-Vinay

Re: Including Original Author in git commits.

Posted by Aaron Fabbri <aj...@gmail.com>.
+1. I think formatted patches and PRs will be an improvement.  I've used
the git --committer thing a couple of times here without issue.

Another unrelated improvement with github is handling of large changes. I
really think large patches should be split up into logical subcommitts and
PR's support this naturally. (We could also use something like quilt and
change the JIRA process to understand patch sets but I may be the only one
excited about that idea.)

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Yetus is adding support for github PRs, we can adopt it. There's already a
github a/c for it (hadoop-yetus) and a goal of adopting the new Yetus. Be
great to have people involved here

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Aaron Fabbri <aj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aaron Fabbri <aj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aaron Fabbri <aj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Vinayakumar B <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinayakumar B <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinayakumar B <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinayakumar B <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Akira Ajisaka <aa...@apache.org>.
Hi Vinay,

I'm already doing this if I can get the original author name and the
email address in some way.
If the patch is created by git format-patch command, smart-apply-patch
--committer option can do this automatically.

Thanks,
Akira

Posted by Akira Ajisaka <aa...@apache.org>.
Hi Vinay,