Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ra...@seagate.com on 2007/08/02 03:33:05 UTC

[users@httpd] How to interpret server-status from mod_status module?

I am using Apache 2.0.48 in prefork MPM mode and am not sure how to
interpret the stat which shows "accesses this connection/child/slot".
What is a "slot" ?    The server-status shows 400 slots with most of them
being "open slot with no process" and  the rest which is  less than 30
workers being active.    Does it mean at some point in time there were 400
active workers and hence these slots were created?
Since the number of accesses/slot against the busy workers is of the order
of 40-50k, was wondering if forcing a value of say 10k on
MaxRequestsPerChild would help with performace? Most of the connections
being handled by this webserver are not persistent.

The configuration for the prefork MPM module is as follows:
StartServers         5
ServerLimit        700
MinSpareServers      5
MaxSpareServers     10
MaxClients         400
MaxRequestsPerChild  0

Thanks

Ramdas

Re: [users@httpd] How to interpret server-status from mod_status module?

Posted by Ra...@seagate.com.
Thanks Joshua.

When the webserver was restarted this morning, looks like the number of
slots initialized themselves and when i checked just now, it is < 200
(MaxClients=400) on all webservers. Not sure why all the available  slots
were created and used at some point during the day  on one of the
webservers while i was monitoring it yesterday - though all the webservers
have the same httpd.conf.

-Ramdas

             "Joshua Slive"
             <jslive@gmail.com
             No Phone Info             "Ramdas.Hegde@seagate.com"
             Available                 <Ra...@seagate.com>
                                                                        cc
                                       users@httpd.apache.org
             08/02/2007 06:30                                      Subject
             AM                        Re: [users@httpd] How to interpret
                                       server-status from mod_status
                                       module?
             Please respond to
             users@httpd.apach
                   e.org

On 8/1/07, Ramdas.Hegde@seagate.com <Ra...@seagate.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the quick turn around.
> The reason i had the doubt was since there are 7 other webservers in the
> webserver farm to which the load balancer sends requests and only the
first
> one seems to have 400 slots shown. The others have of the order of < 200
> slots shown - though the number of active workers on each webserver is
> almost the same.

slots=MaxClients (from httpd.conf).

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] How to interpret server-status from mod_status module?

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 8/1/07, Ramdas.Hegde@seagate.com <Ra...@seagate.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the quick turn around.
> The reason i had the doubt was since there are 7 other webservers in the
> webserver farm to which the load balancer sends requests and only the first
> one seems to have 400 slots shown. The others have of the order of < 200
> slots shown - though the number of active workers on each webserver is
> almost the same.

slots=MaxClients (from httpd.conf).

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] How to interpret server-status from mod_status module?

Posted by Ra...@seagate.com.
Thanks for the quick turn around.
The reason i had the doubt was since there are 7 other webservers in the
webserver farm to which the load balancer sends requests and only the first
one seems to have 400 slots shown. The others have of the order of < 200
slots shown - though the number of active workers on each webserver is
almost the same.

Thanks

Ramdas

             "Joshua Slive"
             <jo...@slive.ca>
             jslive@gmail.com          users@httpd.apache.org
             No Phone Info                                              cc
             Available
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [users@httpd] How to interpret
             08/01/2007 06:52          server-status from mod_status
             PM                        module?

             Please respond to
             users@httpd.apach
                   e.org

On 8/1/07, Ramdas.Hegde@seagate.com <Ra...@seagate.com> wrote:

> I am using Apache 2.0.48 in prefork MPM mode and am not sure how to
> interpret the stat which shows "accesses this connection/child/slot".
> What is a "slot" ?    The server-status shows 400 slots with most of them
> being "open slot with no process" and  the rest which is  less than 30
> workers being active.    Does it mean at some point in time there were
400
> active workers and hence these slots were created?

Nah. You have 400 slots because MaxClients is set to 400 so apache
creates a scoreboard (inter-process communication location) with space
for 400 children to be tracked.

> Since the number of accesses/slot against the busy workers is of the
order
> of 40-50k, was wondering if forcing a value of say 10k on
> MaxRequestsPerChild would help with performace?

No, not unless you have a memory leak someplace.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] How to interpret server-status from mod_status module?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.