Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/19 17:05:04 UTC

[All] Nightly build links

http://www.apache.org/dev/nightly-builds.html says that nightly builds
are allowed, but that the general public should not be pointed to
them.

Seems to me that the front page and download pages for a project are
intended for the general public, and therefore should not link
directly to nightly builds.

Ideally the nightly build links should only be included on pages that
are intended for developers.

If there are links on the main "public" pages, it seems to me these
should be via a page that points out that nightly builds are not for
the casual user.

WDYT?

Re: [All] Nightly build links

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 2/19/08, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.apache.org/dev/nightly-builds.html says that nightly builds
> are allowed, but that the general public should not be pointed to
> them.
>
> Seems to me that the front page and download pages for a project are
> intended for the general public, and therefore should not link
> directly to nightly builds.

Yep.

Ideally the nightly build links should only be included on pages that
> are intended for developers.

Yep.

If there are links on the main "public" pages, it seems to me these
> should be via a page that points out that nightly builds are not for
> the casual user.

Yep. What we have in Struts is a link from the nav menu on the front page to
a Developers page, and all of the dev-only stuff, including links to nightly
builds, is on that page, or linked from that page.

--
Martin Cooper

WDYT?

Re: [All] Nightly build links

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 20/02/2008, Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...so your suggestion is to remove those link?

Yes.

> How do you distinguish
> between pages for "developers" and "general users"?

One way is to have a "developers" page. This is done by some projects, e.g. Math

http://commons.apache.org/math/developers.html

Or there could be a separate "Building" page, which describes how to
build the software (i.e. Java version, Ant target, Maven version and
goals).  This would be a useful page in its own right.

The build page could link to the nightly builds, via a suitable warning page.

For example, the JMeter page:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/nightly.html

makes it very clear that the builds are unsupported, and so does the
actual download area.

For Commons, it might be easiest to have a shared page that all
projects could use.

Re: [All] Nightly build links

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
...so your suggestion is to remove those link? How do you distinguish