Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au> on 2023/05/09 12:18:08 UTC

[DRAFT] Apache Groovy Board Report May 2023 (reporting on Feb/Mar/Apr)

Hi Folks,

Any other updates/comments before I submit our latest board report?
(Due tomorrow)

Thanks, Paul.

===============>8==============

Apache Groovy is responsible for the evolution and maintenance of the Groovy
programming language.

## Issues:
Regarding Rich's comments on the last report:
> rbowen: Three years since your last committer addition is a little
>          concerning. Don't neglect mentoring those non-committer
>          contributors towards the committer roster.
Yes, it is one of the things we worry about too. We are speaking with
recent committers. Most have a particular niche aspect they want fixed
rather than interest in evolving the project in a broader fashion but we
will encourage them as best we can. We also hope to kick off some
student projects but haven't managed to get everything in place yet.
No other issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Membership Data:
Apache Groovy was founded 2015-11-18 (7 years ago)
There are currently 20 committers and 12 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is 5:3.

Community changes, past quarter:
- Remko Popma was added to the PMC on 2022-07-13
- No new committers. Last addition was Mikko Värri on 2020-06-03.

## Project Activity:
We continue improving Groovy 4 as well as fixing critical bugs in earlier
versions. We have also made further performance improvements to
Groovy 4.

We have started giving a bit more attention to our roadmap for Groovy 5
but still have much work to do before the main feature set is finalised.
We expect attention on Groovy 5 will accelerate over the coming months.

Recent releases:
2.5.21 was released on 2023-01-22.
4.0.8 was released on 2023-01-22.
2.5.20 was released on 2022-12-24.
3.0.14 was released on 2022-12-24.
4.0.7 was released on 2022-12-24.

## Community Health:
Activity on the mailing lists has been a little stronger than last quarter.
Activity on Github has been a little lower than last quarter. But on the
whole, health remains good for a relatively small project like ourselves.
Download statistics remain very healthy. We look forward to
helping run the Groovy Track at the CommunityOverCode conference.

This quarter on our main branch (which corresponds to Groovy 5)
of our core repo, 141 commits were contributed from 7 contributors
including 4 non-committer contributors (1 new). There were 485
commits from 11 contributors across all branches. The high number
of commits across all branches (compared to just our main branch)
corresponds to a concerted effort to port as many bug fixes that
made sense for our earlier versions, so that we can now focus more
on Groovy 5.

Re: [EXT] [DRAFT] Apache Groovy Board Report May 2023 (reporting on Feb/Mar/Apr)

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
Are true, I'll fix that.

Posted by "Milles, Eric (TR Technology) via dev" <de...@groovy.apache.org>.