Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Nitin Deshmukh <de...@yahoo.com> on 2008/05/06 15:34:25 UTC

getting java.util.NoSuchElementException occasionally

Hi All,

I am using MyFaces1.1.5, Tomahawk 1.1.6, ajax4jsf1.1.1 on weblogic 8.1 sp6. Users are sometimes getting NoSuchElementException. Following is the StackTrace of the exception. StackTrace doesn't give any information regarding where in the application is started and hence I am not able to figure out what action might have caused it.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Nitin

java.util.NoSuchElementException
	at java.util.AbstractList$Itr.next(AbstractList.java:426)
	at javax.faces.component._FacetsAndChildrenIterator.next(_FacetsAndChildrenIterator.java:56)
	at javax.faces.component.UIComponentBase.processDecodes(UIComponentBase.java:604)
	at javax.faces.component.UIComponentBase.processDecodes(UIComponentBase.java:605)
	at javax.faces.component.UIForm.processDecodes(UIForm.java:56)
	at javax.faces.component.UIComponentBase.processDecodes(UIComponentBase.java:605)
	at javax.faces.component.UIComponentBase.processDecodes(UIComponentBase.java:605)
	at javax.faces.component.UIViewRoot.processDecodes(UIViewRoot.java:138)
	at org.ajax4jsf.framework.ajax.AjaxViewRoot.access$001(AjaxViewRoot.java:53)
	at org.ajax4jsf.framework.ajax.AjaxViewRoot$1.invokeRoot(AjaxViewRoot.java:256)
	at org.ajax4jsf.framework.ajax.JsfOneOneInvoker.invokeOnRegionOrRoot(JsfOneOneInvoker.java:53)
	at org.ajax4jsf.framework.ajax.AjaxContext.invokeOnRegionOrRoot(AjaxContext.java:191)
	at org.ajax4jsf.framework.ajax.AjaxViewRoot.processDecodes(AjaxViewRoot.java:272)
	at org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.ApplyRequestValuesExecutor.execute(ApplyRequestValuesExecutor.java:32)
	at org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.executePhase(LifecycleImpl.java:95)
	at org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.execute(LifecycleImpl.java:70)
	at javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:139)
	at org.apache.myfaces.webapp.MyFacesServlet.service(MyFacesServlet.java:77)
	at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl$ServletInvocationAction.run(ServletStubImpl.java:1006)
	at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:419)
	at weblogic.servlet.internal.TailFilter.doFilter(TailFilter.java:28)
	at weblogic.servlet.internal.FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterChainImpl.java:27)
	at org.apache.myfaces.webapp.filter.ExtensionsFilter.doFilter(ExtensionsFilter.java:100)
	at weblogic.servlet.internal.FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterChainImpl.java:27)
	at org.ajax4jsf.framework.ajax.xmlfilter.BaseXMLFilter.doXmlFilter(BaseXMLFilter.java:127)
	at org.ajax4jsf.framework.ajax.xmlfilter.BaseFilter.doFilter(BaseFilter.java:277)
	at weblogic.servlet.internal.FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterChainImpl.java:27)
	at org.apache.myfaces.webapp.filter.ExtensionsFilter.doFilter(ExtensionsFilter.java:147)
	at weblogic.servlet.internal.FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterChainImpl.java:27)
	at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext$ServletInvocationAction.run(WebAppServletContext.java:6724)
	at weblogic.security.acl.internal.AuthenticatedSubject.doAs(AuthenticatedSubject.java:321)
	at weblogic.security.service.SecurityManager.runAs(SecurityManager.java:121)
	at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.invokeServlet(WebAppServletContext.java:3764)
	at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletRequestImpl.execute(ServletRequestImpl.java:2644)
	at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:219)
	at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:178)

Be a better friend, newshound, and

Re: getting java.util.NoSuchElementException occasionally

Posted by Nitin Deshmukh <de...@yahoo.com>.
may be thats what I will do...  I will try conversation scope and let you guys know If I have any questions.
Thanks a lot for all the replies and help me understand the issues here.

Nitin

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nitin Deshmukh <de...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "simon.kitching@chello.at" <si...@chello.at>.
Nitin Deshmukh schrieb:
> ok... it sounds better than what I currently have. two question though - will right click on a commandLink cause the action of the link to be executed, because in current scenario it doesn't?  second question - will it pass the parameters in case of right click if I have any?
>
> currently, how I do things is - I have a param in each of the commandLinks and the links point to the same action. on the basis of the param received, I decide the action to be performed and return to a page. In this situation, if user right clicks on any of the links, the action is not performed and the parameter is not passed. instead it opens the new window in the previous page.

Plain JSF will not execute any actions on a GET http operation; the only
thing it does for a GET is to render the page.

This also happens to be the recommended behaviour for RESTful webapps;
GET is supposed to be an operation that does not change any system state.

I think this is also the cause of your "render the previous page" issue.

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nitin Deshmukh <de...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "simon.kitching@chello.at" <si...@chello.at>.

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nitin Deshmukh <de...@yahoo.com>.

> > I am using MyFaces1.1.5, Tomahawk 1.1.6, ajax4jsf1.1.1
> on weblogic 8.1 sp6. Users are sometimes getting
> NoSuchElementException. Following is the StackTrace of the
> exception. StackTrace doesn't give any information
> regarding where in the application is started and hence I
> am not able to figure out what action might have caused it.
> > Any help is appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Nitin

> > java.util.NoSuchElementException
> > 	at
> java.util.AbstractList$Itr.next(AbstractList.java:426)
> > 	at
> javax.faces.component._FacetsAndChildrenIterator.next(_FacetsAndChildrenIterator.java:56)
> > 	at
> javax.faces.component.UIComponentBase.processDecodes(UIComponentBase.java:604)
> > 	at
> javax.faces.component.UIComponentBase.processDecodes(UIComponentBase.java:605)
> > 	at
> javax.faces.component.UIForm.processDecodes(UIForm.java:56)
> > 	at
> javax.faces.component.UIComponentBase.processDecodes(UIComponentBase.java:605)
> > 	at
> javax.faces.component.UIComponentBase.processDecodes(UIComponentBase.java:605)
> > 	at
> javax.faces.component.UIViewRoot.processDecodes(UIViewRoot.java:138)
> > 	at
> org.ajax4jsf.framework.ajax.AjaxViewRoot.access$001(AjaxViewRoot.java:53)
> > 	at
> org.ajax4jsf.framework.ajax.AjaxViewRoot$1.invokeRoot(AjaxViewRoot.java:256)
> > 	at
> org.ajax4jsf.framework.ajax.JsfOneOneInvoker.invokeOnRegionOrRoot(JsfOneOneInvoker.java:53)
> > 	at
> org.ajax4jsf.framework.ajax.AjaxContext.invokeOnRegionOrRoot(AjaxContext.java:191)
> >
> I wonder if you have the same problem as someone else
> posting today. Do
> your users happen to have multiple windows open at once, in
> which they
> are doing simultaneous requests? Perhaps due to some
> automatic periodic
> ajax request that is configured to execute in each page?
>
> Regards,
> Simon

Users can open multiple windows, that is possible. But I don't have any automatic ajax requests. I am using ajax on the home page only. But I suppose what you are saying is possible that user is trying to do multiple simultaneous request and that might have caused it.
Also, I do have reports that users also get java.util.ConcurrentModificationException occasionally. I wonder if both the exceptions are because of the same reason.. The second exception arises from the action method of a session scoped bean. so, if two threads are trying to modify the list at the same time, it is possible to get this exception.

Posted by "simon.kitching@chello.at" <si...@chello.at>.

Posted by Nitin Deshmukh <de...@yahoo.com>.
I do have selectOneMenus, but I have a standard method to populate them and all the data is pulled from the database. so, if there was a wrong value, this exception will occur for lots of users. But it happens once in a while. But I suppose, I can still look into my code and data and see if that is the cause. I will check for the empty list also.
Thanks a lot,
Nitin

Posted by Hazem Saleh <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nitin,