Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Sven Kuenzler <sv...@imost.de> on 2002/08/01 12:39:08 UTC

Re: Excel generator

About the Source vs Generator issue: I found a post by Sylvain [1]. It
does not separate the Source and Generator concepts completely but the
bottom line seems to be
- If you have a format with some "natural" xml respresentation, it's a
source (Like Excel->MS's Excel-XML?)
- If you have a binary format which needs to be parsed to XML, it's a
generator (Like XLS -> Gnumeric?)

	Sven

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=102576977207135&w=2

Re: Excel generator

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Sven Kuenzler wrote:

> About the Source vs Generator issue: I found a post by Sylvain [1]. It
> does not separate the Source and Generator concepts completely but the
> bottom line seems to be
> - If you have a format with some "natural" xml respresentation, it's a
> source (Like Excel->MS's Excel-XML?)

Its not *that* natural.  There is an amount of parsing/etc that would
have to happen.

> - If you have a binary format which needs to be parsed to XML, it's a
> generator (Like XLS -> Gnumeric?)

makes sense.