Posted to user@hive.apache.org by "V.Senthil Kumar" <va...@yahoo.com> on 2011/05/03 00:41:28 UTC

HIVE Server multiple instances

Hello,

I have one instance of HIVE JDBC server running on port 10000. Can I run another
instance on different port ? Would it cause a concurrency issue on the
underlying data warehouse files ? Please clarify.

Thanks,
V.Senthil Kumar

Re: HIVE Server multiple instances

Posted by "V.Senthil Kumar" <va...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Paul. That is really useful information.

Posted by Marcos Ortiz <ml...@uci.cu>.
El 5/4/2011 7:48 AM, Paul Ingles escribió:
> [...]
>     connection problems but I think most of it was discussed/resolved
>     during a chat I had with Shevek from Karmasphere at a London pub
>     following a Hadoop meetup :)
>
>     If you're interested, I've posted a gist
>     (https://gist.github.com/953926) that contains our HAProxy config;
>     clients connect to 10000 and are balanced between :10001 and
>     :10005 on 2 servers (so actually 10 backend servers).
>
>     Be happy to talk more about our experience- feel free to ping me
>     an email off list if you'd like.
>

>     On 3 May 2011, at 19:18, Matthew Rathbone wrote:
>
>     > Hey Paul,
>     >
>     > I'd be very interested in reading about your hadoop/hive setup,
>     do you have a blog post or anything describing this setup, or some
>     of the issues you've have with hive?
>     >
>     > --
>     > Matthew Rathbone
>     > Foursquare | Software Engineer | Server Engineering Team
>     > matthew@foursquare.com <ma...@foursquare.com> |
>     @rathboma | 4sq
>     >
>     > On Tuesday, May 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Paul Ingles wrote:
>     > HiveServer does seem to support multiple connections but I think
>     it still has thread-safety problems
>     (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-80).
>     >>
>     >> We've (www.forward.co.uk <http://www.forward.co.uk>) certainly
>     had instability problems with the thrift server in the past and
>     now run 5 or so instances behind the HAProxy load-balancer
>     (http://haproxy.1wt.eu/). Since we did that it's been
>     significantly better.
>     >>
>     >> I think the JDBC server still operates using thrift to connect
>     to the HiveServer so I would expect it to have similar problems
>     (but I may have got that wrong :)
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> On 3 May 2011, at 18:59, Matthew Rathbone wrote:
>     >>
>     >>> Even if it is single threaded it certainly seems to support
>     multiple connections.
>     >>>
>     >>> We run 5 workers all connected at the same time executing a
>     different query each ( with a different connection per worker).
>     >>>
>     >>> Hope that helps
>     >>>
>     >>> Matthew
>     >>> On Tuesday, May 3, 2011 at 1:40 PM, V.Senthil Kumar wrote:
>     >>> Thanks Matthew. The wiki page
>     http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/HiveServer says
>     >>>> its single threaded. I have a queue of queries which gets
>     added dynamically all
>     >>>> the time. By the time I run 1 query using 1 JDBC connection,
>     the queue gets
>     >>>> added more queries and builds up a backlog. So, I was that's
>     why I was wondering
>     >>>> whether I can run two or more instances to avoid having a big

Wow, good piece of information.
Thanks for share it

--
Marcos Luís Ortíz Valmaseda
  Software Engineer (Large-Scaled Distributed Systems)

Re: HIVE Server multiple instances

Posted by "V.Senthil Kumar" <va...@yahoo.com>.
This is great info. Thanks a lot for sharing :)

Posted by Paul Ingles <pa...@oobaloo.co.uk>.

Posted by Paul Ingles <pa...@oobaloo.co.uk>.

Posted by Matthew Rathbone <ma...@foursquare.com>.
Hey Paul,

Posted by Paul Ingles <pa...@oobaloo.co.uk>.

Posted by "V.Senthil Kumar" <va...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks. That really helps and answers my question.

Posted by Matthew Rathbone <ma...@foursquare.com>.

Posted by Matthew Rathbone <ma...@foursquare.com>.