Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Check Peck <co...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/05 07:54:18 UTC

Securing Cassandra database

Hi All,

We would like to secure our Cassandra database. We don't want anybody to
read/write on our Cassandra database leaving our team members only.

We are using Cassandra 1.2.9 in Production and we have 36 node Cassandra
cluster. 12 in each colo as we have three datacenters.

But we would like to have OPSCENTER working as it is working currently.

Is this possible to do anyhow? Is there any settings in yaml file which we
can enforce?

*Raihan Jamal*

Re: Securing Cassandra database

Posted by Jon Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.
This isn’t Cassandra specific, but this is why I hate including db configuration with the main codebase instead of making it the responsibility of ops.  This case you described shouldn’t even be possible.  The production db configs should be provided by the team maintaining the production environment, and not even accessible outside it.

From:  Mark Reddy <ma...@boxever.com>
Date:  Saturday, April 5, 2014 at 12:38 AM
To:  <us...@cassandra.apache.org>
Subject:  Re: Securing Cassandra database

Ok so you want to enable auth on Cassandra itself. You will want to look
into the authentication and authorisation functionality then.

Here is a quick overview:
http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/a-quick-tour-of-internal-authentication-and
-authorization-security-in-datastax-enterprise-and-apache-cassandra

This section of the docs should give you the technical details needed to
move forward on this:
http://www.datastax.com/documentation/cassandra/1.2/cassandra/security/secur
ityTOC.html

Mark

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 7:31 AM, Check Peck <co...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to add, nobody should be able to read and write into our Cassandra
> database through any API or any CQL client as well only our team should be
> able to do that.
>

> On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 11:29 PM, Check Peck <co...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks Mark. But what about Cassandra database? I don't want anybody to read
>> and write into our Cassandra database through any API only just our team
>> should be able to do that.
>>
>> We are using CQL based tables so data doesn't get shown on the OPSCENTER.
>>
>> In our case, we would like to secure database itself. Is this possible to do
>> as well anyhow?
>>

>> On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 11:24 PM, Mark Reddy <ma...@boxever.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> If you want to just secure OpsCenter itself take a look here:
>>> http://www.datastax.com/documentation/opscenter/4.1/opsc/configure/opscAssig
>>> ningAccessRoles_t.html
>>>

>>> If you want to enable internal authentication and still allow OpsCenter
>>> access, you can create an OpsCenter user and once you have auth turned
>>> within the cluster update the cluster config with the user name and password
>>> for the OpsCenter user.
>>>
>>> Depending on your installation type you will find the cluster config in one
>>> of the following locations:
>>> Packaged installs: /etc/opscenter/clusters/<cluster_specific>.conf
>>> Binary installs: <install_location>/conf/clusters/<cluster_specific>.conf
>>> Windows installs: Program Files (x86)\DataStax
>>> Community\opscenter\conf\clusters\<cluster_specific>.conf
>>>
>>> Open the file and update the username and password values under the
>>> [cassandra] section:
>>>
>>> [cassandra]
>>> username =
>>> seed_hosts =
>>> api_port =

Posted by Mark Reddy <ma...@boxever.com>.
Ok so you want to enable auth on Cassandra itself. You will want to look
into the authentication and authorisation functionality then.

Here is a quick overview:
http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/a-quick-tour-of-internal-authentication-and-authorization-security-in-datastax-enterprise-and-apache-cassandra

This section of the docs should give you the technical details needed to
move forward on this:
http://www.datastax.com/documentation/cassandra/1.2/cassandra/security/securityTOC.html

Mark

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 7:31 AM, Check Peck <co...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to add, nobody should be able to read and write into our Cassandra
> database through any API *or any CQL client as well *only our team should
> be able to do that.
>

> On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 11:29 PM, Check Peck <co...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Thanks Mark. But what about Cassandra database? I don't want anybody to
>> read and write into our Cassandra database through any API only just our
>> team should be able to do that.
>>
>> We are using CQL based tables so data doesn't get shown on the OPSCENTER.
>>
>> In our case, we would like to secure database itself. Is this possible to
>> do as well anyhow?
>>

>> On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 11:24 PM, Mark Reddy <ma...@boxever.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> If you want to just secure OpsCenter itself take a look here:
>>> http://www.datastax.com/documentation/opscenter/4.1/opsc/configure/opscAssigningAccessRoles_t.html
>>>

>>> If you want to enable internal authentication and still allow OpsCenter
>>> access, you can create an OpsCenter user and once you have auth turned
>>> within the cluster update the cluster config with the user name and
>>> password for the OpsCenter user.
>>>
>>> Depending on your installation type you will find the cluster config in
>>> one of the following locations:
>>> Packaged installs: /etc/opscenter/clusters/<cluster_specific>.conf
>>> Binary installs: <install_location>/conf/clusters/<cluster_specific>.conf
>>> Windows installs: Program Files (x86)\DataStax
>>> Community\opscenter\conf\clusters\<cluster_specific>.conf
>>>
>>> Open the file and update the username and password values under the
>>> [cassandra] section:
>>>
>>> [cassandra]
>>> username =
>>> seed_hosts =
>>> api_port =

Posted by Check Peck <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Check Peck <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Reddy <ma...@boxever.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
Take a look at the DataStax Enterprise Security Management.

http://www.datastax.com/documentation/datastax_enterprise/4.0/datastax_enterprise/sec/secDSE.html

-- Jack Krupansky