Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ahmed Reza <ah...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/21 22:54:55 UTC

Large Commit Issues! 10Mbps Upload cap on a Gigabit LAN

Hi, I'm running into an issue that nobody seems to know a heck of  a lot
about.  I'm moving a whole bunch of files from an old repository system
(RCS) to SVN (i.e 80,000+ files, ~60GB).  However, checking in is virtually
impossible.   I have a Gigabit connection to the server and all other data
transfers are blazing fast except for SVN which caps at 10Mbps uploading to
the server and 20Mbps when I'm checking out.  I would really, really
appreciate any help on this subject as I have googled this for hours to no
avail.

Thanks,
 Ahmed

Re: Large Commit Issues! 10Mbps Upload cap on a Gigabit LAN

Posted by allan juul <al...@muly.dk>.
Ahmed Reza wrote:

>>  Hi, I'm running into an issue that nobody seems to know a heck of  a lot
>> about.  I'm moving a whole bunch of files from an old repository system
>> (RCS) to SVN (i.e 80,000+ files, ~60GB).  However, checking in is
>> virtually impossible.   I have a Gigabit connection to the server and all
>> other data transfers are blazing fast except for SVN which caps at 10Mbps
>> uploading to the server and 20Mbps when I'm checking out.  I would
>> really,
>> really appreciate any help on this subject as I have googled this for
>> hours
>> to no avail.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>  Ahmed

we have no problems with large commits whether they are large by bytes
or by number of files.

i think people will respond if you specify your system configuration (OS
version, Subversion version, Subversion backend)

./allan

Re: Large Commit Issues! 10Mbps Upload cap on a Gigabit LAN

Posted by Samay <ge...@hotmail.com>.
thanks for details.

a) defrag ur client's disk drive.
b) test 'export' and compare its performance agaisnt 'checkout' for same Repo Path. This is due to significant overhead invovled on checkout in order to create woring copies containing pristine copies of checed out files. Hence CO is always lot slower thn ur raw copy tests.
c) consider setting "compression off" (zlib) both on ur SVN client & SVN server (mod_dav_svn). U have good bandwidth available, so IMO compression is an unwarranted overhead on either ends.
d) confirm that network cards on both server & client side have checksum offloading enabled. (i would assume that to be the case as default Win2k3 install)
e) what is access method for SVN Client .. assuming https?

(a), (c), and (d) are applicable for 'Commit' operations as well. Similarly, pls report speed of 'import' a large file into the repo.

50% peak utilization on server some how hints about a bottleneck in the chain (unless its dual proc / HT, and one of the CPU is peaked at 100%).. but lets leave that aside for the time being. BTW, how much RAM in the server?

cheers

Shirish

Posted by Ahmed Reza <ah...@gmail.com>.
Hi Shirish,

Posted by Ahmed Reza <ah...@gmail.com>.
Hi Samay,
    Thanks, I'll check these things out tommorrow and get back to you.  The
way I compared it was be doing a simple file copy operation (to and from the
server).  I copied 30GB of data from the server to my PC.
The Server has a SCSI Hard drive and my PC has serial ATA.  I'll let you
know the config and hopefully you'll find something I missed (I really hope
so, it would make my day!) .  I just want
to be able to prove that it is not an SVN issue but rather a limitation of
the machines.  Thanks again, and I'll be sending the details tommorow.

Posted by Rahul Bhargava <ra...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Ahmed Reza <ah...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ahmed Reza <ah...@gmail.com>.