Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Noy, James (Accenture)" <Ja...@mhra.gsi.gov.uk> on 2005/11/23 20:12:19 UTC

[users@httpd] apache reverse proxy connection errors

Hi All

I am encountering a problem with my Apache webproxy.  We are using
Apache 2.0.52 + OpenSSL with mod_proxy as a reverse proxy.  Use
ProxyPassReverse and ProxyPass.  When we load the server with 5+
simultaneous users one specific page breaks about 30% of the time.

It causes the following Apache error log messages:

[Wed Nov 23 06:05:48 2005] [error] [client <ip>] proxy: error reading
status line from remote server 10.100.0.71, referer:
https://www.myurl.org/uatwijsp/scripts/documentXML.jsp?ctxLayout_last=br
owseCXML.jsp&cmdLayout=&cmdLayout_P1=&cmdLayout_P2=&cmdBlock=all&cmd=ask
View&cmdP1=Status+%28Initial%29*66*0*wid*&cmdP2=

[Wed Nov 23 06:05:48 2005] [error] [client <ip>] proxy: Error reading
from remote server returned by
/uatwijsp/viewers/cdz/viewCDZDocument.jsp, referer:
https://www.myurl.org/uatwijsp/scripts/documentXML.jsp?ctxLayout_last=br
owseCXML.jsp&cmdLayout=&cmdLayout_P1=&cmdLayout_P2=&cmdBlock=all&cmd=ask
View&cmdP1=Status+%28Initial%29*66*0*wid*&cmdP2=

We used Ethereal (protocol analyser) to track the problem, and it
appears that the backend server (10.100.0.71) does respond to the
request for the page (viewCDZDocument.jsp).  The backend sends the first
few packets of that page but then doesn't get an acknowledgement so
retries a number of times and then gives up.

Reverse Proxy (Apache)
Backend (App Server)

GET viewCDZDocument.jsp
------------------------------------------------>

<-----------------------------------------------------------------------
---------ACK

<-----------------------------------------------------------------------
---------HTTP OK

<-----------------------------------------------------------------------
---------part of viewCDZDocument.jsp

<-----------------------------------------------------------------------
---------part of viewCDZDocument.jsp

<-----------------------------------------------------------------------
---------part of viewCDZDocument.jsp

(At this point the Backend receives no ACK from the Proxy so retries...)

Any ideas or thoughts as to how to tackle this would be gratefully
received, as this problem has us stumped; we have done a fair amount of
googling, etc. and not come up with much of use.

Thanks in advance and regards

James

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any reading, printing, storage, disclosure, copying or any other action taken in respect of this email is prohibited and may be unlawful.

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by using the reply function and then permanently delete what you have received.Incoming and outgoing email messages are routinely monitored for compliance with the Department of Healths policy on the use of electronic communications.

For more information on the Department of Healths email policy, click http;//www.doh.gov.uk/emaildisclaimer.htm

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet (GSi) virus scanning service supplied exclusively by Cable & Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs.

On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus-free

Re: [users@httpd] apache reverse proxy connection errors

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
If not a routing problem, I'd suggest you bump up to 2.0.55, and apply
this patch; http://people.apache.org/~wrowe/httpd-2.0-proto-timeout.patch
which should provide you the most stable httpd 2.0.55 proxy available.

Post back if you still see this issue after upgrading!  (Your OpenSSL
version shouldn't matter significantly for this problem below.)

Bill