Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Stephen and Sherry Kinser <sk...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/25 21:33:41 UTC

Query about CONFIGURATION-390, a threading problem in commons-configuration reloading

What's the activity on resolving CONFIGURATION-390? I see it's slated to be
fixed in 1.7, but how likely is that to happen? This threading issue is
killing me. I'd rather not have to synchronize every every configuration
call just because I need to be able to reload the configuration when the
file changes. Is the plan to still support the thread-safety claim that Oliver
Heger made back in 2006 (
http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg14490.html)?

Thanks,
Stephen Kinser

Re: Query about CONFIGURATION-390, a threading problem in commons-configuration reloading

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Sep 25, 2009, at 12:39 PM, Oliver Heger wrote:

> Stephen and Sherry Kinser schrieb:
>> What's the activity on resolving CONFIGURATION-390? I see it's
>> slated to be
>> fixed in 1.7, but how likely is that to happen? This threading
>> issue is
>> killing me. I'd rather not have to synchronize every every
>> configuration
>> call just because I need to be able to reload the configuration
>> when the
>> file changes. Is the plan to still support the thread-safety claim
>> that Oliver
>> Heger made back in 2006 (
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg14490.html
>> )?
>> Thanks,
>> Stephen Kinser
>
> I cannot promise when I come to it, but I am going to have a look at
> this issue. The goal is still that read-only access to a
> configuration should be thread-safe.

I am running into this into production. I will have to attack this
over the weekend. I'm sure it won't be pretty. At least on the 2.0
branch we can start using read/write locks. In 1.7 it will have to use
synchronize(), probably in many places.

Ralph

Re: Query about CONFIGURATION-390, a threading problem in commons-configuration reloading

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
Stephen and Sherry Kinser schrieb:
> What's the activity on resolving CONFIGURATION-390? I see it's slated to be
> fixed in 1.7, but how likely is that to happen? This threading issue is
> killing me. I'd rather not have to synchronize every every configuration
> call just because I need to be able to reload the configuration when the
> file changes. Is the plan to still support the thread-safety claim that Oliver
> Heger made back in 2006 (
> http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg14490.html)?
>
> Thanks,
> Stephen Kinser

I cannot promise when I come to it, but I am going to have a look at
this issue. The goal is still that read-only access to a configuration
should be thread-safe.

Oliver