Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by el...@ni.com on 2003/04/02 19:54:50 UTC

Any way to check for open child nodes before using release?

I was wondering if there is any way to check whether any references to
child nodes, etc, are open before calling release?  Basically, I allow
users to "close" any reference they choose.  As currently implemented, my
code will just call release on the node and therefore close any nodes below
it.  It would be nice if I could check for any open nodes "below" the point
which I am closing.  If this was possible I could even delay the call to
release until the user has closed all nodes "below" this node or decides to
stop the application.  If this does not exist then I will have to do my own
reference counting or simply inform users: "don't do that."

Re: Any way to check for open child nodes before using release?

Posted by Gareth Reakes <ga...@decisionsoft.com>.
Hi,
	you can not do this although I recall that someone on the list was
implementing something which could solve your problem. Anyone want to own
up?

Gareth

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 elliot.rapp@ni.com wrote:

> I was wondering if there is any way to check whether any references to
> child nodes, etc, are open before calling release?  Basically, I allow
> users to "close" any reference they choose.  As currently implemented, my
> code will just call release on the node and therefore close any nodes below
> it.  It would be nice if I could check for any open nodes "below" the point
> which I am closing.  If this was possible I could even delay the call to
> release until the user has closed all nodes "below" this node or decides to
> stop the application.  If this does not exist then I will have to do my own
> reference counting or simply inform users: "don't do that."

Gareth Reakes, Head of Product Development  +44-1865-203192
DecisionSoft Limited                        http://www.decisionsoft.com
XML Development and Services