Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/03/02 21:10:12 UTC

Determining the intent of the voters... ;-)

While we are waiting on Anil (anybody seen him lately?), I'm trying to
tally the votes received so far.  It is clear that Ceki and Diane have the
prerequisite number of votes already.  Congratulations.

However, there are a number of votes which aren't quite so clear.  Without
trying to prejudice anybody, I'm simply going to quote passages from the
bylaws and ask the following people to clarify their vote:

..."all of the PMC will vote"...

   Pier:
     [  ] Ted Husted
     [  ] Geir Magnusson Jr.
     [  ] Daniel F. Savarese
     [  ] Jason van Zyl

..."and those receiving a 3/4 positive vote"...

   Craig:
     [+0] Peter Donald
     [+0] Daniel F. Savarese

   James:
     [+0] Ted Husted
     [+0] Geir Magnusson Jr.
     [+0] Jason van Zyl

..."will become a member."

- Sam Ruby

Re: Determining the intent (long)

Posted by Ted Husted <ne...@husted.com>.
"Pier P. Fumagalli" wrote:
> To be elected on the PMC, though, is somehow a different story. The PMC is
> responsible for organizing the Jakarta community, tracking what different
> projects are doing, solving disputes, accepting new code bases. This goes
> far beyond a simple judgment on some piece of code. That's why I voted +1
> for Peter: I don't like how he codes, but we fought so much and in so many
> different places, that right now I know him. I might disagree with him 99.9%
> of the times, but I know that even he doesn't think like I do, he is a fine
> addition to our committee...

Everyone's participation in Jakarta is available through the mailing
list archives, just as our code is in the CVS. But, if you would really
like to know more about myself, Geir, Daniel, or Jason, please feel free
to ask.

Here's my own "who am I" from the Struts CVS.

--

My primary interest in Struts is to put it to work writing lots of
real-life Web applications:-) To do that effectively means having good

I've been writing software for hire since 1984, but only recently jumped
on the Java bandwagon. My initial interest was with electronic
publishing, and started converting my various print projects to
electronic media. The "Information Superhighway" was still the private
stomping ground of Universities and government agencies then. The rest
of us had to make do with diskettes and bulletin boards.

Between 1985 and 1994, I created and marketed several software products
for publishing on disk, the most popular being "Dart" and "Iris". In
1992, Dart was awarded the Digital Quill for software excellence,
featured in PC Magazine (February 1992), and bundled with McGraw Hill's
bookset, "Paperless Publishing" by Colin Hayes (McGraw Hill 1994). Dart
won an unprecedented second Digital Quill in 1993. Several titles that
used Iris for a publishing system have also won awards and been widely
distributed, including "Hermitville USA." I was also fortunate to find
kindred souls on CompuServe and America Online, who helped me pioneer
resources areas in 1993 and 1994 for the nascent electronic publishing
industry.

I finally cut loose on the Internet in 1995, launching Epub News, an
electronic newspage about electronic publishing. After taking on several
private contracts, I opened the Husted dot Com Website (www.husted.com)
in 1996. I've drifted away from electronic books, but have noticed that
several products are now making their way into the consumer mainstream
-- as usual, I was twenty minutes into the future:-)

My favorite all-time project is the Hitchhikers Guide to Science
Fiction. This was one of my earliest hypertext projects (it started as a
print-book idea), and I had a lot of fun bringing it forward onto the
Web. (Now, if I only had time to bring it current and dress it up!)

One of my best clients is WXXI Public Broadcasting Council, where I'm
serving as the station's Webmaster. WXXI provides public broadcasting
services for television and radio, and we are working to do the same
online. Along with providing companion Web sites for every WXXI
production, we stream both our AM and FM signals, in both Real and
QuickTime format, with online archives in the works. It's a long
journey, but we've taken the first steps. I'm responsible for most of
the regular updates to the site, and much of the overall layout and
design. We're grateful to have won the PBS award for best Web site in
our market for two years in a row.

Our most ambitious projects at WXXI have been Spring Marketplace 2000
and the NY Election Finder. For Spring Marketplace, we put our annual
auction fully online for simultaneous telephone and Website bidding. On
NY Election, we offered not only the usual election-finder application,
but collected voter registration records from around the state, so
people could also check their registration status * and * polling place.
I developed the Web-enabled database applications for both projects.

Currently, I'm expanding the WXXI online auction software into a
complete package for hosting live and online auctions as fund-raisers;
this is to be an open-source project called Gavel, and will, of course,
rely heavily on Struts.

--

While this vote has been pending, Gier and I have been working on a
proposal for a new subproject. The draft is here

< http://husted.com/about/jakarta/lib005.htm >

and we hope to post it to this list as soon as this vote completes.

I'm not going to pretend to be the best coder here. My main interest is
deploying Web applications built from various Jakarta technologies,
including Struts, Taglibs, Tomcat, and Jetspeed. I believe that one of
the best ways I can do that is to better document these technologies,
for myself and for others.

If elected to the PMC, I would continue to try and help myself and
others put Jakarta to work. Of course, if I'm not elected to the PMC
(this time), I'll still do the same ;-) You're stuck with me, guys.

-- Tel 716 737-3463.
-- http://www.husted.com/about/struts/

Re: Determining the intent of the voters... ;-)

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Sam Ruby <ru...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> While we are waiting on Anil (anybody seen him lately?), I'm trying to
> tally the votes received so far.  It is clear that Ceki and Diane have the
> prerequisite number of votes already.  Congratulations.
>
> However, there are a number of votes which aren't quite so clear.  Without
> trying to prejudice anybody, I'm simply going to quote passages from the
> bylaws and ask the following people to clarify their vote:
>
> ..."all of the PMC will vote"...
>
>  Pier:
>    [  ] Ted Husted
>    [  ] Geir Magnusson Jr.
>    [  ] Daniel F. Savarese
>    [  ] Jason van Zyl

Sam, stop being a pain in the ass for everything that anyone does in not
perfect accordance with your "ideas" (I'm kinda getting bored of this
attitude of pointing out any single stupid detail).

Now, I didn't vote WITH A REASON, I wrote "I don't know those guys enough to
cast an opinion". And I can't vote with a "0" because that would mean "Go
ahead, I don't care".... While I _do_ care about this project, I _do_ care
about this PMC (whops, check it out, I was one of the idiots who "built"
this stuff)...

And, BTW, I have nothing personal against those four... Election in the PMC,
or in the Apache Software Foundation as a member, is completely different
from being approved as a committer. If I have to vote for your CVS commit
access, well, I could simply go and check out how, in my very humble
opinion, your code is written, and decide based on something I can
understand, exactly like how I would do with a an artist, if I like his
paintings, I would give him the keys of my apartment and let him paint
something on my walls.

To be elected on the PMC, though, is somehow a different story. The PMC is
responsible for organizing the Jakarta community, tracking what different
projects are doing, solving disputes, accepting new code bases. This goes
far beyond a simple judgment on some piece of code. That's why I voted +1
for Peter: I don't like how he codes, but we fought so much and in so many
different places, that right now I know him. I might disagree with him 99.9%
of the times, but I know that even he doesn't think like I do, he is a fine
addition to our committee...

Now, if my position is against the one of the PMC (and of the president),
well, you can simply ask me to leave, I was already considering it since I
won't have that much time to follow the Apache mailing lists as I'm moving
back to Europe. Just ask, you won't even have to go down to a forced 3/4 of
the total.

    Pier (sincerely disappointed)

Pier Fumagalli  <http://www.betaversion.org/>  <ma...@betaversion.org>