Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org> on 2018/09/10 17:54:14 UTC

Re: [VOTE] KIP-349 Priorities for Source Topics

Hmm.  My understanding is that streams doesn't need anything like this since streams pauses topics when it doesn't need more data from them.  (Matthias, can you confirm?)

best,
Colin

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <ma...@confluent.io>.
That sound correct, Colin.

At runtime (we just merged an improvement this week, cf KIP-353), Kafka
Streams synchronizes different topics based on record timestamps.
Records are buffered internally before processed and we `pause()`
partitions for which the number of records in the buffer exceeds a
configurable threshold (`buffered.records.per.partition` parameter).

Timestamp based synchronization (ie, message choosing) is essential for
DSL semantics. A custom MessageChosser might break DSL operator semantics.

Having said this, there might be use cases for with timestamps based
synchronization is not desired. However, I would assume that this would
be a Processor API level feature, not a DSL level feature.

Hence, offering something similar to MessageChooser interface at
Processor API level that is leveraged at runtime might make sense. For
this case, the DSL would plug-in its timestamp based synchronization
strategy. Take this with a grain of salt though. I have not thought this
through and it might actually not be possible to express the needed
timestamp synchronization with a MessageChooser interface.

-Matthias