Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by "Mosur Ravi, Balaji" <br...@iona.com> on 2006/10/09 15:31:59 UTC

RE: Missing apache license headers

Hi,

Some files in our distribution do not contain the apache license header
& the yoko team would like to know if it needs to be included or not...

idl.g - This file is from the antlr & is released under a bsd license.
Should we include the apache header in this file?

We have the third party licenses in separate files and we reference them
from the main LICENSE file. Do we need the headers in these files?

third_party_licenses\antlr-bsd-license.txt
third_party_licenses\CDDL-license.txt
third_party_licenses\celtix-epl-license.txt
third_party_licenses\wsdl4j-cpl-license.txt

Thanks

Balaji

Posted by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@gmail.com>.
And apologies from me on the late response, but will agree with Henri.

The license header should not be placed in files that are not
contributed directly to the ASF by the author/copyright owner/owner's
agent.  We call such files that are not directly submitted to the ASF,
"third-party works".  We should never alter or add anything to the
copyright or licensing statements for such third-party works.

You are right to reference such third-party licenses in the LICENSE
file.  You are only required to reference them in the NOTICE file if
the third-party work requires some form of attribution when the work
is distributed.

HTH.

Cliff