Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by jm...@fastmail.fm on 2014/07/15 20:14:01 UTC

Number of requests per time period

Hi,

Is there an easy way for me to get number of requests per time period,
so I am able to retrospectivly graph time/throughput?

Thanks

Paul

Re: Number of requests per time period

Posted by Adrian Speteanu <as...@gmail.com>.
The JMeter plugins project on google code is the easiest way to get
in realtime from the GUI. In the plugins, the Hits per second will give you
an RPS graph, no matter how you structure your test script.

Transactions are arbitrarily defined (and throughput is transactions per
time unit), so it depends where you find this notion used and on the people
using it to properly explain it. RPS is what you get from jmeter's log
easiest, as it records/logs each request, but sometimes multiple requests
are needed to complete an action as it is understood by the end-user, so a
transaction is sometimes defined as the collection of requests that serve
that purpose. In your jmeter test you'd have to make sure that your script
hierarchy groups the requests in such a way that you can properly record
such transactions and there throughput. Example: if somebody wanted to know
how many edits per hour does a wiki support, they don't really care that it
takes 5 requests to open the editor and another 3 requests to post a new
version of the page (and the numbers are completely randomly picked, insert
anything there), they just wanted to know how many page versions can be
added to the wiki in one hour.

Note: processing large .jtl files after running big tests, in non-gui mode,
takes some time whatever method you're using to plot your test results
(xslt, any plugin, perl scripts, etc, etc). So I keep one separate instance
of jmeter that runs the same script but with less threads. It generate
significantly less traffic, I arbitrarily picked 1% of the total
throughput, and a smaller log file, so I can get results before the full
logs are parsed (and sometimes analysing the full logs is not needed
anymore).

--Adrian S

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Ankit Sethiya <an...@gmail.com>.
I have same question if some one can please response? I had an assumption
that RPS is same as throughput but i guess that's not correct.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 11:14 AM, <jm...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there an easy way for me to get number of requests per time period,
> so I am able to retrospectivly graph time/throughput?
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

Software Quality Analyst
Los Angeles, CA