Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by toby <tk...@iinet.net.au> on 2014/10/02 14:56:33 UTC

ActiveMQ NMS client and DTC transactions

Hi,

I would like to know what the situation is regarding the use of DTC
transactions with the NMS client.

I have read in numerous places that NMS does not reliably support DTC;
however, nowhere am I able to find a detailed explanation of exactly what
the issue is, either in terms of how it manifests or its underlying causes.

One of the two scenarios that I am looking to implement DTC transactions
over ActiveMQ via NMS in involves NServiceBus, who state that NMS does not
properly support DTC and furthermore that this is by design and that there
is therefore no intention to improve upon the current capabilities.

On the other hand, NMS's documentation and latest release notes both
indicate that DTC use is supported and actively being worked upon.

I need to understand exactly what the situation is so that I may derive a
solution. We are currently involved in a large-scale project which relies
upon ActiveMQ to provide JMS-based integration between a range of systems
that are based on different platforms. There are two .Net systems involved,
one that uses ActiveMQ directly; the other that employs ActiveMQ as the
transport for NServiceBus. The use of DTC is essential as distributed
transactions are critical to the system and DTC is needed to interact
between .Net applications and the XA transactions that are used elsewhere
throughout.