Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/07 21:26:52 UTC

[VOTE] M2 Final release

Folks,

Following are the details pertaining to this release.

The release artifacts can be found at
http://people.apache.org/~rajith/qpid-release/M2/Final
The release artifacts are can be build using the following tag
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/qpid/tags/M2/Final/
The release artifacts were signed using
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/qpid/tags/M2/Final/java/KEYS

The vote wil close at 12 noon EST.

Here is my Vote
Java[X]
.NET[X]
CPP [X]
Python [X]
Ruby[X]

Regards,

Rajith

Re: [VOTE] M2 Final release

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Robert Greig wrote:
> On 10/09/2007, Scott Deboy <sd...@comotivsystems.com> wrote:
>
>> Also, shouldn't a vote on a release last at least 3 days?
>>

> I think this was the intent; Rajith simply forgot to put in the date
> (it just says 12 noon).
>
> RG

yes. let's run the vote till Wednesday noon.

Carl.

Re: [VOTE][ANN] M2 Final release

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Thanks, went through delta's from what I looked at last time - looks good

+1.
Carl.

Re: [VOTE][ANN] M2 Final release

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Martin,

I have created the release notes and updated the poms.
I have the updated java builds on my machine.
However I am having difficulty pushing them into my apache home folder.

I tried several times to scp it, but after about 15% it just stalls.
It is frustrating and I tried many times. I will try again tomorrow
morning.

Worst case is you guys will have to wait till I get home on friday night.

Regards,

Rajith

Re: [VOTE][ANN] M2 Final release

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE][ANN] M2 Final release

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Martin,

Re: [VOTE][ANN] M2 Final release

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.

[VOTE][ANN] M2 Final release

Re: [VOTE] M2 Final release

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
On 11/09/2007, Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com> wrote:
> Robert Greig wrote:
> >>>

> >> We also build all on every checkin of M2 + trunk (across the
> >> architectures). I hope to
> >> send the failure to the commits list.
> >
> > In that case I don't understand why at least one of Rafi's bugs was
> > not detected sooner?
> >
> > Were they not failing on the machine that build was running on?
>
> All of my bugs were intermittent failures due to race conditions that
> for some reason my dev box is more prone to than others. My current
> theory is that I have the right number of processors (2) plus most of my
> memory eaten up by firefox when I run the tests. ;)
>
> --Rafael

I haven't seen the TransactedTest ever fail and I use a Core2Duo 2Ghz
machine with 2G of RAM. One of my colleagues with a Dual 3.2Ghz
machine had real difficulty reproducing the bug even with the delay.
We do both have windows on the machine so perhaps that affects things.

I have raised a JIRA for the CombinedTest that of late has been less
intermittent that it had in the past. I do think some of our tests are
overly complicated and poorly documented as a result it is difficult
to know what they are testing.

--
Martin Ritchie

Re: [VOTE] M2 Final release

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.

Re: [VOTE] M2 Final release

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 11/09/2007, Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com> wrote:

> IMHO it is very bad to have intermittent failures even if they are due
> to timing issues in the tests. If that is the case we should fix the
> tests. If we let those issues slide it's all too easy to just dismiss
> any intermittent failures as issues with the tests and then we're
> letting real intermittent bugs go by unnoticed.

Completely agree.

I hadn't been paying as much attention to the list as I should have
and I hadn't realised we were experiencing intermittent failures.

I would rather people raise Jiras for any intermittent failures even
if they haven't had time to analyse fully the problem. At least that
way we get persistent record of it and we can always close as invalid
if after investigation it turns out to be a false alarm.

RG

Re: [VOTE] M2 Final release

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.
Carl Trieloff wrote:

>> In that case I don't understand why at least one of Rafi's bugs was
>> not detected sooner?
>>
>> Were they not failing on the machine that build was running on?
>>

> yes, on the build server here we have seen intermittent failures for
> Java M2. I have posted this
> as have others and the consensus on the list was timing issues in the
> test. I think it was found now
> as I believe Rafi has been trying to make the tests more predictable for
> the 0-10 / 0-8&9 testing
> work. Rafi, correct me if I am wrong

Yes, I was trying to make the tests more predictable because they were
failing quite often for me and that was getting in the way of my own
testing for the 0-10/0-8&9 work.

Re: [VOTE] M2 Final release

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Re: [VOTE] M2 Final release

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] M2 Final release

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Re: [VOTE] M2 Final release

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 11/09/2007, Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com> wrote:

> I would say QPID-531 (memory leak), QPID-572 (ordering), and QPID-573
> (duplicate messages) are all fairly serious issues and at a minimum
> should be prominently mentioned in the release notes. I would think they
> all merit fixes if we were to cut another release.

OK, we have the following status as I understand it on these issues:

QPID-531 : Martin has a one line fix for this which will be committed very soon
QPID-572 : Believed to be fixed
QPID-573 : Fixed by you Rafi on trunk. Can you merge to M2 and M2.1?

We now have an automated build running on a reasonably powerful box so
we will be hammering *all* the tests going forward.

If we can get the changes committed then we should be able to run the
tests for a couple of days and perhaps get a new M2 build together on
say Friday? Does that sound feasible?

RG

Re: [VOTE] M2 Final release

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.
Robert Greig wrote:
> On 11/09/2007, Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> The images seem good so on that front I am +1. I do have one question
>> about the ordering
>> bug found by Rafi which is also in M2, are we going to fix and re-cut
>> the RC or just note
>> them and fix in M2.1?
>
> I think having looked again and reproduced QPID-572 it is a serious
> bug and does merit being fixed. I believe Martin has a fix for it.
>
> Are there any other issues that are serious enough they cannot wait
> until the M2.1 release?

I just rechecked, and the list of known bugs in the release notes isn't
up to date with what is in JIRA, so at a minimum we need to regenerate
the artifacts with an up to date list.

Re: [VOTE] M2 Final release

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] M2 Final release

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
The images seem good so on that front I am +1. I do have one question
about the ordering
bug found by Rafi which is also in M2, are we going to fix and re-cut
the RC or just note
them and fix in M2.1?

Thoughts....

Carl.

Re: [VOTE] M2 Final release

Posted by Robert Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me

Re: [VOTE] M2 Final release

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] M2 Final release

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.

RE: [VOTE] M2 Final release

Posted by Scott Deboy <sd...@comotivsystems.com>.
Also, shouldn't a vote on a release last at least 3 days?

Scott Deboy
COMOTIV SYSTEMS
111 SW Columbia Street Ste. 950
Portland, OR  97201

Telephone:      503.224.7496
Cell:           503.997.1367
Fax:            503.222.0185

sdeboy@comotivsystems.com

www.comotivsystems.com

Posted by Rupert Smith <ru...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] M2 Final release

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.
My vote:

Java[X]
.NET[X]
CPP [X]
Python [X]
Ruby[X]

RG

Re: [VOTE] M2 Final release

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
On 9/7/07, Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The release artifacts can be found at
> http://people.apache.org/~rajith/qpid-release/M2/Final
> The release artifacts are can be build using the following tag
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/qpid/tags/M2/Final/
> The release artifacts were signed using
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/qpid/tags/M2/Final/java/KEYS

+1 to releasing the above, with the caveat that I only looked at the
Java and Ruby artifacts.

In the future, I would suggest using a voting template like the more
standard one we usually employ.  Something like this:

Vote to release [Artifact Name]:
[ ] +1, go for it
[ ] +0, neutral
[ ] -1, no, do not release, because [voter fills in his/her reasoning here]

Yoav

Re: [VOTE] M2 Final release

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.
Rajith Attapattu wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Following are the details pertaining to this release.
>
> The release artifacts can be found at
> http://people.apache.org/~rajith/qpid-release/M2/Final
> The release artifacts are can be build using the following tag
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/qpid/tags/M2/Final/
> The release artifacts were signed using
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/qpid/tags/M2/Final/java/KEYS
>
> The vote wil close at 12 noon EST.
>
> Here is my Vote
> Java[X]
> .NET[X]
> CPP [X]
> Python [X]
> Ruby[X]
>
> Regards,
>
> Rajith

Java[-0] (due to several serious outstanding bugs)
.NET[+1]
CPP[+1]
Python[+1]
Ruby[+1]