Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Chris Brody <ch...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/09 15:36:36 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Node 6.x & 8.x Deprecation & Node 12.x Support

Here is my response to what looks like the original discussion on Node.js
versions 6 and 8:

Considering that the Apache Cordova maintainers do not even have enough
time resources to keep up with bugs and features on the current platform
stack versions, I find it ridiculous that we should even consider
maintaining support for old tool versions such as Node.js 8.

For example, I think migration of packages such as cordova-android to
fs-extra should only target Node.js 10(+)
https://github.com/apache/cordova-android/issues/781

Posted by Norman Breau <no...@normanbreau.com>.
For example, I think migration of packages such as cordova-android to
fs-extra should only target Node.js 10(+)
https://github.com/apache/cordova-android/issues/781

fs-extra supports >= Node 8, so I don't think not deprecating/dropping
node8 will be a blocker here.

There is an issue with the language in the blog post.
Deprecation means that support will be removed in the future, we should
deprecate now, and remove support somewhere down the road.

- Jesse

100% agree with this. Makes sense to add the deprecation notices now, so
that support can be removed in
the following major release.