Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/05 03:07:28 UTC

Junit4

Now that we're going for Java 5, I took some time this evening to poke at
using Junit4. I've done enough for proof of concept (POC), but before going
further I wondered if there's enough interest or cautions or objections.

It's actually not bad. I was afraid that we'd have to do an "all or none"
conversion, but Junit3 and Junit4 co-exist quite happily both in IntelliJ
and in ant.

I managed to get all of the tests in
...test/org/apache/lucene/search/function to run under junit4, while all the
rest of the tests are running under Junit3....

The short form is that I made a copy of LuceneTestCase called
LuceneTestCaseJ4 that does NOT derive from TestCase but preserves (almost)
all of the other functionality. There's some pesky nonsense with the
constructor that takes a parameter (apparently disallowed by Junit4, and for
POC I'm not going to worry about it, I'm not sure this is anything more than
an artifact of Junit3 and can be removed). From there, it was just a matter
of making the relevant test cases inherit from LuceneTestCaseJ4 and
resolving some visibility issues (e.g. the setup and teardown (i.e. @Before
and @After) in LTCJ4 had to be public), and resolving imports.

I had to hack the common-build.xml a bit (warning, I'm no Ant expert) to
include both junit jars, but that seems to work fine.

So I *claim* that we can gradually migrate to junit4 if we want to without
having to do a massive migration. I really haven't looked very carefully at
the base LuceneTestCase class, but I can successfully comingle Junit3 and
Junit4 testcases so I thought it was worth discussing. Note that I didn't do
*anything* except get the tests to run. That is, other than adding things
like @Before and @After and @Test, I didn't take advantage of any of the
Junit4 features.

If there's enough interest, I'll clean some things up, make  a JIRA (I don't
see anything in there already on this topic) and submit a patch in the next
week. And this is *really* something I'd like someone else's eyes on....

Best
Erick

Re: Junit4

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.
For most test classes it means just adding @Test before its 'public void'
stuff. We can add more Junit4 stuff later, like timeouts, expected
exceptions etc. It will also mean to stop extending TestCase and fix the
(small number?) of tests which will be affected by it?

And if we add static imports for all asserts, nothing really changes in the
code ....

Uwe, even if there are tests that need some work, I'm not sure how it's
related to moving to Junit4 ...  can't those two tasks be done in parallel?
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Shai

Re: Junit4

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 1:19 AM, Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, the patch is in shape to submit, but looking at the various comments
> on the 3.0 release, I guess I should wait until 3.0 is actually out the door
> before submitting unless someone just can't wait.
You can go ahead and upload the patch to the issue no matter if 3.0 is
not released.

> How do we include a new jar file in a patch?
Just upload it to JIRA too.

Re: Junit4

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: Junit4

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: Junit4

Re: Junit4

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
OK, done, see LUCENE-2037. This makes sense if for no other reason than not

RE: Junit4

Re: Junit4

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

RE: Junit4