Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by Meghna Baijal <me...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/09 22:43:01 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Adding labels to PRs

Hello All,

Currently, there is no process in place to identify the new features that
go into every release.  All the commits since the previous release are
manually parsed to find the important changes that go into the release
notes.

In order to improve this process, I want to start a discussion on the
following options -

1. *Better PR titles* - if possible, these should be good enough to be
picked as is into the release notes.

2. *JIRA Issues* - each commit should be tagged with an associated JIRA
issue. This issue should describe the problem. JIRA tickets can be used to
automate the generation of release notes.

3. *Adding Labels to the PRs/Commits* - There can be a set of 3-5 labels
such as ‘Bug-Fix’, ‘New Feature’, ‘Docs’, ‘Minor Change’ etc. Atleast those
PRs which are important and should be included in the release notes should
be labeled.
However, labels can only be added by those with write access to the repo.
So the committers will have to triage this label addition as they
review/merge the PRs.

Do you think these changes are feasible? Will they help? What other options
should be considered?

Thanks,
Meghna Baijal

Re: [DISCUSSION] Adding labels to PRs

Posted by Pedro Larroy <pe...@gmail.com>.
+1

Agree with Bhavin, Marco and Sheng. I would also like to point out
good commit practices such as, keeping each individual commit small
and on-topic, meaning if that you are changing whitespace and a one
liner fix, it's better practice to separate those commits. Or having
two separate commits for unrelated changes. I see that often we are
squashing these kinds of commits, this makes it more difficult to
review changes and then bisect when you need to find problems. I see
many times them squashed, and I wonder if there's a general rule that
we are following.

Posted by Marco de Abreu <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Bhavin Thaker <bh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sheng Zha <zh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bhavin Thaker <bh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Bull <sb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bhavin Thaker <bh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by kellen sunderland <ke...@gmail.com>.
I have a weak preference for option #2, as this option really helps make
releases easy, and encourages a well thought-through commit process.
However a combo of #1 and #3 would also work well, and is less overhead.

Note: probably obvious, but whichever mechanism we choose, let's remember
to update this doc with clear instructions one it's in place:
https://mxnet.incubator.apache.org/community/contribute.html

Posted by Marco de Abreu <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by madan jampani <ma...@gmail.com>.
I really like (2). Yes it is work to link each PR to a Jira. But it really helps users understand what they are getting. The Jira can contain the necessary context.

Spark does this well: https://github.com/apache/spark/commits/master

Madan