Posted to user@poi.apache.org by David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com> on 2010/05/05 15:36:39 UTC

Email Tips

Hi -

I have noticed that some people are repeating questions and/or hijacking threads to try to get an answer. This makes it difficult for others to get answers.

The Apache Software Foundation has a long list of tips for email contributors. I think that some users may need to take a look.

http://www.apache.org/dev/contrib-email-tips.html

Here are some important points:

- Remember that most people are participating in development on a volunteer basis and in their "spare time". These enthusiasts will attempt to respond to issues. It may take a little while to get your answers.

- Most list participants are very busy. Their replies might appear to be curt when they direct you to a document, or give a short answer without niceties. If they spent too long preparing each reply, then they would become exhausted.

- Please do not send private emails about development or usage questions. Rather keep the discussion on the mailing list, where we can all assist. This also enables other people to learn from such common questions. The time spent answering these questions is far more effective, and it helps the community to grow.

- Become familiar with the mailing lists. As you browse and search, you will see the way other people do things. Follow the leading examples.

Perhaps the key elements to emphasize - are patience in waiting for an answer, well researching the question in advance, and don't ask too many questions at once.

Dave