Posted to general@logging.apache.org by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch> on 2004/01/05 18:56:42 UTC

RE: Incubation of log4* projects

At 12:24 AM 12/28/2003 +0000, Nicko Cadell wrote:
>Sorry for not responding. Been away for a few days. Strange being without
>email.
>
>As a first step to getting log4net into incubation I am conducting a full
>code audit to ensure that all the code ownership can be traced and can be
>assigned to apache (we don't want to make any mistakes here).

Yes, we would like to avoid any mistakes. Interestingly, enough, since
1.2beta1 (2002-06-30) log4net is distributed under an Apache License a
copy of which can be found below.

This is actually a practice frowned upon by the ASF, but in this case
it may make things a little simpler. Indeed, by virtue of its license
log4net has been saying that the ASF owns the code since June 2002. I
don't see how any contributor could oppose it becoming an ASF project
and at the same time allow it to be distributed under the ASF license
and with an ASF *copyright*.

Given the above and assuming that the Logging PMC agrees, I will ask
the ASF to create an account for all the log4net committers who have
signed and sent in their CLA. The address of where it should be sent
is part of the text. When you do send in your CLA, please let me know
so I can take the necessary actions. The CLA can be found here:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla.txt

In a separate message I will ask the Logging PMC to formally endorse
this move.

Here is the license shipped with log4net 1.2 Betax:

/*
  *
  *                   The Apache Software License, Version 1.1
  *
  *
  *    Copyright (C) 1999 The Apache Software Foundation. All rights reserved.
  *
modifica-
  * tion, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
  *
  * 1. Redistributions of  source code must  retain the above
copyright  notice,
  *    this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
  *
notice,
  *    this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
documentation
  *    and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
  *
  * 3. The end-user documentation included with the redistribution, if any,
must
  *    include  the following  acknowledgment:  "This product
includes  software
  *    developed  by the  Apache Software
Foundation  (http://www.apache.org/)."
  *    Alternately, this  acknowledgment may  appear in the software
itself,  if
  *    and wherever such third-party acknowledgments normally appear.
  *
  * 4. The names "log4j" and  "Apache Software Foundation"  must not be used to
  *    endorse  or promote  products derived  from this  software
without  prior
  *    written permission. For written permission, please contact
  *    apache@apache.org.
  *
  * 5. Products  derived from this software may not  be called "Apache",
nor may
  *    "Apache" appear  in their name,  without prior written
permission  of the
  *    Apache Software Foundation.
  *
  * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED
WARRANTIES,
  * INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY AND
  * FITNESS  FOR A PARTICULAR  PURPOSE ARE  DISCLAIMED.  IN NO  EVENT
SHALL  THE
  * APACHE SOFTWARE  FOUNDATION  OR ITS CONTRIBUTORS  BE LIABLE FOR  ANY
DIRECT,
  * INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,  EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL  DAMAGES
(INCLU-
  * DING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT  OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
LOSS
  * OF USE, DATA, OR  PROFITS; OR BUSINESS  INTERRUPTION)  HOWEVER CAUSED
AND ON
  * ANY  THEORY OF LIABILITY,  WHETHER  IN CONTRACT,  STRICT LIABILITY,  OR
TORT
  * (INCLUDING  NEGLIGENCE OR  OTHERWISE) ARISING IN  ANY WAY OUT OF
THE  USE OF
  * THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
  *
  * This software  consists of voluntary contributions made  by many
individuals
  * on  behalf of the Apache Software  Foundation.  For more  information
on the
  * Apache Software Foundation, please see <http://www.apache.org/>.
  *
  */