Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com> on 2013/09/28 04:15:23 UTC

Shipping source as a complete pack for Apache Stratos incubating release

Hi all,

I just want to get clarified $subject.
Apache Stratos products are based on Osgi components and hence develop as
components, features, products source separately.
So products directory only does an assembling of features. Therefore if we
ship products directory, it doesn't contain real source.

Is it fine to ship complete source without shipping products as separate
source packs?

Thanks.

Lahiru Sandaruwan
Software Engineer,
Platform Technologies,
WSO2 Inc., http://wso2.com
lean.enterprise.middleware

email: lahirus@wso2.com cell: (+94) 773 325 954
blog: http://lahiruwrites.blogspot.com/
twitter: http://twitter.com/lahirus

Re: Shipping source as a complete pack for Apache Stratos incubating release

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pa...@wso2.com>.
Yes a single source code file is completely acceptable - and in this case
the right thing to do. We should be clear in the README and on the website
that this source code builds all the released binary artifacts, and it must
be easy to do that.

Paul

On 28 September 2013 04:46, Imesh Gunaratne <im...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi Lahiru,
>
> Yes as Lakmal has suggested I think it should be ok to ship one source
> package with several binary packages.
>
> Since Stratos is built on a single platform with multiple products if we
> were to create separate source packages we might need to duplicate
> component source code in different product source packages. Therefore I
> guess it should be cleaner to ship one source package.
>
> WDYT?
>
> Thanks
>

> On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 8:55 AM, Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>wrote:
>
>> I think that's fine.
>>
>> sent from phone
>> On Sep 28, 2013 7:45 AM, "Lahiru Sandaruwan" <la...@wso2.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I just want to get clarified $subject.
>>> Apache Stratos products are based on Osgi components and hence develop
>>> as components, features, products source separately.
>>>  So products directory only does an assembling of features. Therefore if
>>> we ship products directory, it doesn't contain real source.
>>>
>>> Is it fine to ship complete source without shipping products as separate
>>> source packs?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> --
>>> Lahiru Sandaruwan
>>> Software Engineer,
>>> Platform Technologies,
>>> WSO2 Inc., http://wso2.com
>>> lean.enterprise.middleware
>>>
>>> email: lahirus@wso2.com cell: (+94) 773 325 954
>>> blog: http://lahiruwrites.blogspot.com/
>>> twitter: http://twitter.com/lahirus
>>> linked-in: http://lk.linkedin.com/pub/lahiru-sandaruwan/16/153/146
>>>

> --
> *Imesh Gunaratne*
> Technical Lead
> WSO2 Inc | http://wso2.com
> T: +94 11 214 5345 | M: +94 77 374 2057
> W: http://imesh.gunaratne.org
> Lean . Enterprise . Middleware

--
Paul Fremantle
CTO and Co-Founder, WSO2

UK: +44 207 096 0336
US: +1 646 595 7614

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
twitter.com/pzfreo
paul@wso2.com

wso2.com Lean Enterprise Middleware

Disclaimer: This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information and is intended exclusively for the addressee/s. If you are not
the intended recipient/s, or believe that you may have received this
communication in error, please reply to the sender indicating that fact and
delete the copy you received and in addition, you should not print, copy,
retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information contained in this
communication. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely,
secure, error or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any
errors or omissions.

Re: Shipping source as a complete pack for Apache Stratos incubating release

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@wso2.com>.
Hi Lahiru,

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.
I think that's fine.