Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by "Campana Jr., Salvatore J" <sa...@hp.com> on 2005/05/04 15:42:09 UTC

RE: Names and Trademarks

Ok, after trademark searching against our previously voted-upon list, it
seems "Apache Message Broker" seems to be the most reasonable...

This gets straight to the point since it contains two different
messaging implementations, WS-Eventing and WS-Notifications....

How does everyone feel about this?

-Sal

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
no other adjective...just plain "Apache Message Broker" and we may use
a short form mxb, for say mxb-dev/mxb-user mailinst lists.

-- dims

Re: Names and Trademarks

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Sanjiva,

this was picked from the short-list on the dev mailing list....we
can't force it. they (committers) have to come up with the names....

-- dims

RE: Names and Trademarks

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

RE: Names and Trademarks

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> A nice descriptive name.  I'm definitely coming down on the side
> of non-cutsie names, e.g., Apache Directory Server.

> FYI, trademark law is such that a "nice descriptive name" is a
> worse trademark than a "cutsie" name.

Actually, I had removed the adjective "non-trademarkable" from my
description, but it was there.

> Certainly "Apache Message Broker" or any of the other suggestions is more
> descriptive--and perhaps a more useful phrase for prospective customers--
> than some suggestive or fanciful mark like "Axis.  But for trademark
> purposes, the more suggestive or fanciful a mark the better. In that case,
> "Apache" is the great trademark, "Message Broker" is merely the
> description of one of the Apache products.

Exactly.  I'm not sure that we need, want or should be in the business of
creating product trademarks.  Apache is our trademark.  The rest just
describes what we are providing.

	--- Noel

RE: Names and Trademarks

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.
> Seems reasonable to me, too.  A nice descriptive name.  I'm definitely
> coming down on the side of non-cutsie names, e.g., Apache Directory
> Server.

FYI, trademark law is such that a "nice descriptive name" is a worse
trademark than a "cutsie" name.

Not that you shouldn't use descriptive words following the mark "Apache" to
describe ASF's various products. Certainly "Apache Message Broker" or any of
the other suggestions is more descriptive--and perhaps a more useful phrase
for prospective customers--than some suggestive or fanciful mark like "Axis.
" But for trademark purposes, the more suggestive or fanciful a mark the
better. In that case, "Apache" is the great trademark, "Message Broker" is
merely the description of one of the Apache products.

Better still is to come up with a pattern of names. The most famous example
of this, perhaps, is the McDonald's set of trademarks ("BigMac" and "Chicken
McNuggets"). But it is probably too late for ASF to come up with trademarks
in a consistent set.

/Larry Rosen

Lawrence Rosen
Rosenlaw & Einschlag, technology law offices (www.rosenlaw.com)
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242  ●  fax: 707-485-1243
Author of “Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom and
   Intellectual Property Law” (Prentice Hall 2004)
   [Available also at www.rosenlaw.com/oslbook.htm]

RE: Names and Trademarks

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.