Posted to npanday-dev@incubator.apache.org by Adelita Padilla <ap...@maestrodev.com> on 2011/03/17 09:21:34 UTC

[NPANDAY] Updates on 1.3-incubating Release

Hi All,

We regret to inform you that we will not be pushing through with the
1.3-incubating release.
There were quite a number of issues raised on that release particularly
regarding the LICENSES.

Also the deployed artifacts were not synched to central.

Are there any objections if we proceed to releasing 1.3.1-incubating after
we've addressed those issues?

Thank you for your understanding and continued support of NPanday.

Cheers,

liit

Re: [NPANDAY] Updates on 1.3-incubating Release

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 17/03/2011, at 10:45 PM, Lars Corneliussen wrote:

> is OK for me. Just that i have to revert that blogpost.
>
> Could you sum up, for somebody not familiar with apache processes, why we had to withdraw this release? And how beeing in incubation makes it different?
>
> I would then blog about this learning.
>
> Even if it is annoying, i'm happy to see that apache holds on to defined rules.

Several things happened here.

The initial issue was that the vote was never copied to the general@incubator.apache.org list. This is something done to get more eyes on it to help the podling get a solid release out the door. While you technically need just 3 binding votes, you need to give the whole PMC a chance to vote, and they don't all follow this list.

That should have gone past in 72 hours and we could have carried on, but some deficiencies were notice. The incubator disclaimer hadn't been added into the distribution, and some licenses weren't being correctly attributed in the distribution (which we should have picked up in previous releases too). Liit started correcting the distributions and updating SVN for future releases, but doing this on the fly starts to make the release process uncomfortable and it was getting close to being better to run it again.

The thing I noticed last night, and we should have picked up before announcing, was that it had never made it to Maven central. That's not required for an Apache release, and we haven't had it before, but it was an intention of the release and something we should have corrected. That's because of not updating the Group ID to org.apache.npanday. Given that I no longer have access to the central repository, I doubt we can get the npanday group carried over there without moving it.

I suggested to Liit on IRC that we might want to take another run at it at this point to make sure we get everything right. I was going to post it to the list, but she beat me to it and as RM she's decided it's best to have another go.

So in the end, there wasn't any major thing wrong with the release, just a cumulation of enough things that could be done better that it might be best to have another go.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: [NPANDAY] Updates on 1.3-incubating Release

Posted by Lars Corneliussen <me...@lcorneliussen.de>.
is OK for me. Just that i have to revert that blogpost.

Could you sum up, for somebody not familiar with apache processes, why we had to withdraw this release? And how beeing in incubation makes it different?

I would then blog about this learning.

Even if it is annoying, i'm happy to see that apache holds on to defined rules.

--
Message sent from mobile device