Posted to dev@solr.apache.org by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org> on 2023/03/02 01:45:17 UTC

Google Java Style: shall we declare intent to follow?

I wish to standardize our use of casing in names/symbols.  And perhaps to
align with GJS more broadly.

We use the google-java-format build plugin, which is obviously tightly
correlated with the Google Java Style.  I think we/Solr jumped on board
with auto code formatting but didn't necessarily declare an intent to align
ourselves with GJS more broadly.  I'd like us to do so now.  I'm not
advocating for sweeping changes to follow from this, just an intent to
align future decisions.  Maybe some previous things might get renamed as we
feel inclined.

According to the Google Java Style[1], symbol names with acronyms should be
camel cased.  Thus RebalanceLeadersAPI should be RebalanceLeadersApi, for
example.

FWIW I've followed this approach for a long time and I find that it
produces more predictable results with fewer wonky scenarios.  On the down
side, it's somewhat unsatisfying that acronyms aren't cased as would be
done in a natural (non-code) written form.  But such forms have space as a
delimiter, unlike code.

[1] https://google.github.io/styleguide/javaguide.html#s5-naming

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

Re: Google Java Style: shall we declare intent to follow?

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
+1, good idea.

Jan

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.
Why do you think the IntelliJ "Google Java Format" plugin will start
changing formats beyond what Spotless is doing?  Spotless uses GJF :-).
Okay there's more to it than that... I recall the IntelliJ plugin variant
also honors some Java import statement order stuff but the Spotless plugin
doesn't.  It's fine.  If you see lots of changes then tag me; I'd be
curious to see.

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Sweeney <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
+1 to David's proposal.

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.

_______________________

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Sweeney <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bruno Roustant <br...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>.

Posted by Houston Putman <ho...@apache.org>.
I am always +1 for standardization, especially across a project as big as
this.

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.
Can you please shed some light on what problem we'll solve by doing all
this or what motivates us to go there?

To my mind, Solr is a burning platform, bordering on irrelevance because of
years of neglect, and all these efforts just feel like arranging deck
chairs on a sinking ship. Let's do it by all means if it solves anything,
rather than doing this for the sake of doing something.