Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by teddiebear johnson <te...@hotmail.com> on 2001/09/21 04:32:00 UTC

Started Tomcat, why don't JSPs run...

I downloaded the tomcat 4.0 binaries to my solaris 8 system... I set the
CATALINA_HOME to /usr/jakarta-tomcat-4.0 and I set my JAVA_HOME to
/usr/j2se... Should jsp be working, already configured??? Do I have to add
some libraries... I noticed the class folders were empty... Is this a
problem...

I loaded tomcat successfully, but when i put a JSP file in the webapps
directory, I come up with this error... "HTTP 500 Status - No Context
Configured to process this request"... Can someone please help me... I'm new
at this...

RE: Started Tomcat, why don't JSPs run...

Posted by Tia Haenni <th...@kc.rr.com>.
Taken from the app developer's guide docs for Tomcat 4.0:

A web application is defined as a hierarchy of directories and files in a
standard layout. Such a hierarchy can be accessed in its "unpacked" form,
where each directory and file exists in the file system separately, or in a
"packed" form known as a Web ARchive, or WAR file. The former format is more
useful during development, while the latter is used when you distribute your
application to be installed.

The top-level directory of your web application hierarchy is also the
document root of your application. Here, you will place the HTML files and
JSP pages that comprise your application's user interface. When the system
administrator deploys your application into a particular server, he or she
assigns a context path to your application (a later section of this manual
describes deployment on Tomcat). Thus, if the system administrator assigns
your application to the context path /catalog, then a request URI referring
to /catalog/index.html will retrieve the index.html file from your document
root.

Follow this link for more info:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/appdev/deployment.html

On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 10:32:00PM -0400, teddiebear johnson wrote:
[..]
> I loaded tomcat successfully, but when i put a JSP file in the webapps
> directory, I come up with this error

Well it's called "webapps" because it's where you put webapps, not JSPs :)

To get started, put your JSP in webapps/ROOT. Eg webapps/ROOT/foo.jsp
will be accessible at http://localhost:8080/foo.jsp.

Have a read of the "App Developers Guide", linked to from the main
documentation.

--Jeff

Re: Started Tomcat, why don't JSPs run...

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.