Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/20 11:32:22 UTC

[LANG] JCIP Annotations

LANG trunk currently includes some use of JCIP annotations.

The annotations were defined with Runtime retention.

Although the annotation jar is not needed to run applications, it
turns out that the Sun Java 1.5 compiler reports an error if the jar
is not present. [Java 1.6 only issues a warning]

Obviously this is not ideal ;-)

Possible options:
* remove JCIP (leave the annotations as comments)
* bundle JCIP (license is CC Attribution)
* write our own annotations - with class-file retention

Seems to me that annotations are in scope for LANG.

Comments?

Re: [LANG] JCIP Annotations

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
>>> LANG trunk currently includes some use of JCIP annotations.
>>>
>>> The annotations were defined with Runtime retention.
>>> Although the annotation jar is not needed to run applications, it
>>> turns out that the Sun Java 1.5 compiler reports an error if the jar
>>> is not present. [Java 1.6 only issues a warning]
>>> Possible options:
>>> * remove JCIP (leave the annotations as comments)

+1. [lang] doesn't have the power/strength/clout to define these, nor
should we depend on jcip. Thus, the only way that jcip will gain wide
acceptance is if they are included in the JDK.

>>> Seems to me that annotations are in scope for LANG.

[lang] doesn't have any annotations right now, and I struggle to see any
that are sufficiently common, low level and non-religious to justify
inclusion.

> Why not just bundle JCIP in our jar then?

Because they might change outside our control, causing jar file hell.

Stephen

RE: [LANG] JCIP Annotations

Posted by Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com>.

Gary

Re: [LANG] JCIP Annotations

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.

Re: [LANG] JCIP Annotations

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
+1 to remove.

Re: [LANG] JCIP Annotations

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 20/08/2009, Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Sebb,
>
>  sebb wrote at Donnerstag, 20. August 2009 11:32:
>

>  > LANG trunk currently includes some use of JCIP annotations.
>  >
>  > The annotations were defined with Runtime retention.
>  >
>  > Although the annotation jar is not needed to run applications, it
>  > turns out that the Sun Java 1.5 compiler reports an error if the jar
>  > is not present. [Java 1.6 only issues a warning]
>

> When exactly? Compiling lang or compiling code using it?

Sorry, I meant compiling code using it.
Of course it's also needed for compiling LANG.

>  > Obviously this is not ideal ;-)
>

> If the latter - yes.
>

>  > Possible options:
>  > * remove JCIP (leave the annotations as comments)
>  > * bundle JCIP (license is CC Attribution)
>  > * write our own annotations - with class-file retention
>  >
>  > Seems to me that annotations are in scope for LANG.
>  >
>  > Comments?

I should also have said that the reason for using the annotations was
to document the thread-safety of classes, and to document which locks
(if any) are needed to access mutable variables.

This can be done using comments, but annotations offer more
flexibility, e.g. possiility of using bug detectors, javadoc.

Re: [LANG] JCIP Annotations

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Sebb,

sebb wrote at Donnerstag, 20. August 2009 11:32:

> LANG trunk currently includes some use of JCIP annotations.
>
> The annotations were defined with Runtime retention.
>
> Although the annotation jar is not needed to run applications, it
> turns out that the Sun Java 1.5 compiler reports an error if the jar
> is not present. [Java 1.6 only issues a warning]

When exactly? Compiling lang or compiling code using it?

> Obviously this is not ideal ;-)

If the latter - yes.

> Possible options:
> * remove JCIP (leave the annotations as comments)
> * bundle JCIP (license is CC Attribution)
> * write our own annotations - with class-file retention
>
> Seems to me that annotations are in scope for LANG.
>
> Comments?

- Jörg

Re: [LANG] JCIP Annotations

Posted by Holger Hoffstaette <ho...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 10:32:22 +0100, sebb wrote:

> LANG trunk currently includes some use of JCIP annotations.

Please also see: http://code.google.com/p/jsr-305/

I remember vaguely that there were some semantic changes esp. wrt. the
"itself" designator since the original JCIP release.

-h

Re: [LANG] JCIP Annotations

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 10:32 AM, sebb<se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> LANG trunk currently includes some use of JCIP annotations.
>
> The annotations were defined with Runtime retention.
>
> Although the annotation jar is not needed to run applications, it
> turns out that the Sun Java 1.5 compiler reports an error if the jar
> is not present. [Java 1.6 only issues a warning]
>
> Obviously this is not ideal ;-)
>
> Possible options:
> * remove JCIP (leave the annotations as comments)
> * bundle JCIP (license is CC Attribution)
> * write our own annotations - with class-file retention
>
> Seems to me that annotations are in scope for LANG.
>
> Comments?

My vote is for the first option "remove JCIP" as it was in the

http://commons.markmail.org/message/fhyovahrg7gibzhd

Niall