Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Army <qo...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/01 00:30:51 UTC

Re: svn commit: r427293 - in /db/derby/code/trunk/java/tools/org/apache/derby/impl/tools/ij: Main.java mtTestCase.java utilMain.java utilMain14.java

djd@apache.org wrote:
> Modified:
>     db/derby/code/trunk/java/tools/org/apache/derby/impl/tools/ij/Main.java
>     db/derby/code/trunk/java/tools/org/apache/derby/impl/tools/ij/mtTestCase.java
>     db/derby/code/trunk/java/tools/org/apache/derby/impl/tools/ij/utilMain.java
>     db/derby/code/trunk/java/tools/org/apache/derby/impl/tools/ij/utilMain14.java

When I sync up to the latest codeline and do an ant clobber, I see the following
compile errors:

     [javac] Compiling 2 source files to C:\p4clients\main_codeline\classes
     [javac]
C:\p4clients\main_codeline\opensource\java\testing\org\apache\derbyTesting\functionTests\tests\lang\wisconsin.java:70:

utilMain(int,org.apache.derby.iapi.tools.i18n.LocalizedOutput,java.util.Hashtable)
is not public in org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.utilMain; cannot be accessed
from outside package
     [javac]             utilInstance = new utilMain(1, out, (Hashtable)null);
     [javac]                                ^
     [javac] 1 error
     [javac] Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.

compile:
     [javac] Compiling 4 source files to C:\p4clients\main_codeline\classes
     [javac]
C:\p4clients\main_codeline\java\com\ibm\db2j\functionTests\smallDevice\IjTest.java:158:
go(org.apache.derby.iapi.tools.i18n.LocalizedInput,org.apache.derby.iapi.tools.i18n.LocalizedOutput,
java.util.Properties) has private access in org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.Main
     [javac]     me.go(in, out, (Properties) null);
     [javac]           ^
     [javac] 1 error
     [javac] Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.

I also noticed (somewhat by chance) that if I try to run ij using Sun jdk131
with the latest codeline, I see the following:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
org/apache/derby/impl/tools/ij/Main14 (Unsupported major.minor version 48.0)
         at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:106)
         at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:243)
         at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:51)
         at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:183)
         at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:288)
         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:310)

Are these errors caused by revision 427293?

svn info
Repository UUID: 13f79535-47bb-0310-9956-ffa450edef68
Revision: 427335
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: djd
Last Changed Rev: 427298
Last Changed Date: 2006-07-31 14:42:26 -0700 (Mon, 31 Jul 2006)
Properties Last Updated: 2006-03-03 15:06:29 -0800 (Fri, 03 Mar 2006)

Army

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.
Myrna van Lunteren wrote:

> So, Andrew, does this also mean you are looking into the wisconsin
> test failure? The test currently builds but fails - with jdk142 and
> others,

Fixed. Committed revision 427801.

Dan.

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
On 7/31/06, Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/31/06, Army <qo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >      [javac] Compiling 2 source files to C:\p4clients\main_codeline\classes
> >      [javac]
> > C:\p4clients\main_codeline\opensource\java\testing\org\apache\derbyTesting\functionTests\tests\lang\wisconsin.java:70:
> >
> > utilMain(int,org.apache.derby.iapi.tools.i18n.LocalizedOutput,java.util.Hashtable)
> > is not public in org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.utilMain; cannot be accessed
> > from outside package
> >      [javac]             utilInstance = new utilMain(1, out, (Hashtable)null);
> >      [javac]                                ^
> >      [javac] 1 error
> >      [javac] Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.
>
> Interestingly, the wisconsin test is usign this internal class to set
> ij's input and output  streams. Since that's exactly what the public
> ij.runScript() is for, the test should probably be rewritten to use
> the new public api.
>
> > I also noticed (somewhat by chance) that if I try to run ij using Sun jdk131
> > with the latest codeline, I see the following:
> >
> > Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
> > org/apache/derby/impl/tools/ij/Main14 (Unsupported major.minor version 48.0)
>
> I'll look into this.
>
> andrew

So, Andrew, does this also mean you are looking into the wisconsin
test failure? The test currently builds but fails - with jdk142 and
others, I think. Looks like it just can't make any connections,
haven't looked further into it. This I saw first when svn update-ing
up to 427354.
Or, Dan, that was a checkin by you, are you maybe looking at it?

Myrna

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.

Patches for DERBY-1609 (was: Re: svn commit: r427293 - in /db/derby/code/trunk/java/tools/org/apache/derby/impl/tools/ij: Main.java mtTestCase.java utilMain.java utilMain14.java)

Posted by John Embretsen <Jo...@Sun.COM>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> I think I fixed them, just checking in another codeline.
>
> I'malso changing wisconsin.java to use the new ij.runScript method so I
> didn't see that compile error. The change to use runScript isn't ready
> yet, some diffs exist ddue to a cursor name.

Dan,

Speaking of the new ij.runScript method, is there any chance you will
upload any patches to DERBY-1609 (Jira) in the future?

I'm not a big fan of the "commit-then-review-by-inspecting-svn-history"
process when it comes to new features like this. With patches attached
to Jira it is easier for members of the community to learn from the code
and/or spot mistakes, without having to subscribe to the derby-commits list.

--
John

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.
Army wrote:

> djd@apache.org wrote:
>
>> Modified:
>>
>> db/derby/code/trunk/java/tools/org/apache/derby/impl/tools/ij/Main.java
>>
>> db/derby/code/trunk/java/tools/org/apache/derby/impl/tools/ij/mtTestCase.java
>>

>> db/derby/code/trunk/java/tools/org/apache/derby/impl/tools/ij/utilMain.java
>>

>> db/derby/code/trunk/java/tools/org/apache/derby/impl/tools/ij/utilMain14.java
>>

> When I sync up to the latest codeline and do an ant clobber, I see the
> following compile errors:

I think I fixed them, just checking in another codeline.

I'malso changing wisconsin.java to use the new ij.runScript method so I
didn't see that compile error. The change to use runScript isn't ready
yet, some diffs exist ddue to a cursor name.

Sorry,
Dan.