Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Daivish Shah <da...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/23 00:56:51 UTC

Existing Network Location Access for JAR files

Hi,

I have one quick Question for you guys.

I am having one issue to adopt Maven. My company needs following features
available with Maven. I am trying to force my company to choose Maven as
build TOOL. but they have one critical question for you guys.

My company is looking to write something like this or something which is
available in the market which supports this feature, Which can provide
existing network path location as Maven Local Repository. Example is as
followed.

* Existing network Path :*

* C:\networkfolder\ErrorLogging\1.0\Java\ErrorLogClient.jar*

And my MAVEN repository should show-up path something like this.

http://localhost:8080/samplepath/networkrepository/ErrorLogClient/ErrorLogClient/1.0/ErrorClient-1.0.jar<http://localhost:8080/archiva/browse/ErrorLogClient/ErrorLogClient/1.0/ErrorClient-1.0.jar>

Is there any work around for this, That can provide me ?

The company has more then 100 products which is using something like this so
we have to start with only 1 project for now. And for that there are so many
dependency with each projects so we can't create a new network location and
where we point as a MAVEN repository so i am looking for something which can
provide me to use existing network path which actually has different kind of
directory structure which is MAVEN is following at this moment.

Can you please reply me as soon as possible. AS i need to figure it out can
i choose MAVEN for this or not ?

Let me know if you are confused or not clear with my requirement.

Thanks,
Daivish.

Re: Existing Network Location Access for JAR files

Posted by Daivish Shah <da...@gmail.com>.
Yes you are absolutely right. Yes currently it's hard for debugging as we
don't know which version of JAR is breaking the Environment.

that's the reason we want to move with Maven we can know our artifact build
version and believe me it's very hard to change these things when you have
more then 100 products live :-)

That's why we come up with a solution at this moment to create some mock-up
URL, Which Maven is looking for and once things are good and everybody is
happy :-) i mean each team :-) then we can get approval to move with MAVEN.

Thanks a lot for all your help again.

-daivish.

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 1:01 PM, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daivish Shah <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ron,

Yes I agree with Nexus, But the only concern in choosing Nexus is we have to
daily copy our latest JAR files from Existing location to New location for
Even 1 Project. As so many dependency on those Jar files and which are daily
updating. So we have to daily Update the new Nexus location too.

That is why we have to write some work around which can use existing network
location.

Thanks for your all explanation.

-Daivish.

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Ron Wheeler <
> [...]

> rest of the projects.
> You will understand how repositories are used by Maven and understand how
> Maven deals with dependencies and library searches.
> You will also understand what it means to have artifacts in your library
> that do not have POM files.
>
> If you still want to customize Maven, you can go ahead at that point with a
> lot better understanding of the need and will be able to explain the
> advantages, disadvantages, life-cycle costs and risks that this entails.
>
> Wayne is one of the smartest and most knowledgeable people in this forum
> and if you do decide to go ahead with a custom approach, you should read
> very carefully what he suggests and be sure to follow it.
>

> Ron
>

> On 25/07/2011 1:17 PM, Daivish Shah wrote:
>
>> Hi Wayne,
>>
>> You understood me correctly. And our company is looking to use MAVEN
>> standards in future so i think the idea to create custom repository
>> structure will not be good for us.
>>
>> We have to prove some projects with MAVEN first and make them easy going
>> with MAVEN. Then all projects will move with MAVEN standards.
>>
>> So to start with we have to create HTTP URL which follows existing
>> standard
>> of MAVEN. And no change in Network location of all Artifacts here.
>>
>> So based on your explanation, I have only one option to write a small
>> project which brings up this Maven Standard URL format and use that as
>> maven
>> repository for now.
>>
>> Thanks for all your explanation and sorry for all confusion that you had
>> understand my requirement.
>>
>> Correct me if still any other work around.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Daivish.
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 8:26 AM, Wayne Fay<wa...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>  So i wanted to confirm that i only have ONE WAY TO write ONE WEB Project
>>>>
>>> old

>>> Clearly we are all having trouble understanding what you are asking,
>>> even though we are all speaking English.
>>>
>>> Let me tell you what I believe you are asking and then you confirm or
>>> deny:
>>> 1. I have an existing repo with a different structure to what Maven
>>> expects, and I want to use it to fulfill dependency requests while
>>> building artifacts with Maven. We cannot adjust the layout/structure
>>> of the old repo at this time.
>>>
>>> 2. I am planning to write some webapp that will work like mod_rewrite
>>> and turn requests from Maven that look like
>>> http://repo/m2/ErrorLogClient/**ErrorLogClient/1.0/**ErrorClient-1.0.jar<http://repo/m2/ErrorLogClient/ErrorLogClient/1.0/ErrorClient-1.0.jar>
>>> into requests that my existing repo will understand under a path like
>>> http://repo2/networkfolder/**ErrorLogging/1.0/Java/**ErrorLogClient.jar<http://repo2/networkfolder/ErrorLogging/1.0/Java/ErrorLogClient.jar>
>>>
>>> 3. I would like to be told the algorithm that Maven uses when looking
>>> for artifacts in my repo so that I can code up the rewrite webapp

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Daivish Shah <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Wayne,

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daivish Shah <da...@gmail.com>.
Yes but what we are thinking is We can make HTTP URL something like this

http://localhost:8080/samplepath/networkrepository/ErrorLogClient/ErrorLogClient/<http://localhost:8080/samplepath/networkrepository/ErrorLogClient/ErrorLogClient/1.0/ErrorClient-1.0.jar>
1.0/ErrorClient-1.0.jar<http://localhost:8080/samplepath/networkrepository/ErrorLogClient/ErrorLogClient/1.0/ErrorClient-1.0.jar>

For that may be we have to write small WAR project and which can come up as
this URL and step by step we move our projects to MAVEN and till that time
we use this HTTP url as our Network Repository.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daivish Shah <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ron,

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.