Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Darrel Austin <da...@visi.com> on 2001/12/19 17:58:15 UTC

Newbie ?: Dual Virtual Servers

Hi.

I'm completely new to Apache, so I apologize if this is a 'duh' question.
However, I've read everything I can and have asked as many people as I can
and haven't been able to find an answer. I am sure this is one of those
'it's-so-obvious-it's-easy-to-mess-up' type of things.

Here's the deal: I have a linux server running Apache running off of a DSL
line with a router. The router is assigned to send all HTTP requests to the
main server's IP address (internally assigned through NAT tables on the
router). On that server we have 5 domains (virtual servers?) set up.

The problem is that I am adding a second, physical linux/apache server and
am unclear on how virtual servers work across more than one physical server.
Am I supposed to assign a virtual server to server #1 that points to server
#2? If so, I don't see how that syntax would work in the current HTTPConfig
file.

For a simple example, let's say server #1 is domain.com and I want
subdomain.domain.com to point to server #2. How do I go about doing that?

Alternatively, if anyone knows of a good discussion board for Apache
Newbies, feel free to point me in that direction!

Thanks!

-Darrel