Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Alex Vishnev <av...@optonline.net> on 2001/11/14 16:40:13 UTC

Object Oriented Database Access

Hello All,
I have been monitoring this list for some time. I have only seen relational
database issues being discussed. I was wondering if anyone has considered
object-oriented databases for storing their data. There are a number of
commercial object oriented databases on the market (Versant, ObjectStore,
Poet and others) as well as public domain Ozone (http://www.ozone-db.org).
Does anyone on the list knows if there is framework in existence to
generically access OODBMS? Is there an XSP name space (in concept similar to
esql) available for this access?
Alex Vishnev

RE: Object Oriented Database Access

Posted by Alex Vishnev <av...@optonline.net>.
Karl,

I was not actually looking to use sql drivers in cocoon. I was looking to
see if anyone has implemented xsp name space (i.e xsp:oodbms) that can
access objects in the object oriented database. I understand that SQL is a
purely relational concept and will not work in OODBMS. I guess looking to do
is to create a new syntax that will be relevant in object world. For
example, once you navigate to your 'rooted" object or primary collection
stored in the database, you will no longer need query capabilities. You can
simply use navigational methods. So in a sense it is a query to find the
object and then retrieve it's attributes. The search could be based on
primary key of the object or a combination of primary + attributes. Going
back to my original question, I wanted to find out if someone already
created a generic framework that is not dependent on the database. I hope
that makes sense.

Alex

here is that xhive is not a sql database, and so it doesn't have any sql
driver etc that works in cocoons framework as far as i know.

this also forced me to create xhive specific generators since i cant make
cocoon recognize xhive as a datasource. this also excludes all use of esql
and so on.

mvh karl oie