Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Daniel Joshua <da...@gridnode.com> on 2003/07/24 10:20:39 UTC

FW: Commons-HttpClient conflict with WebDAVClient

Hi all,

Got a question.

My project uses WebDAVClient for remote file access. Recently I tried to add
Commons-HttpClient 2 beta 1 to my project.

This cause problems as WebDAVClient already packages an older version of
HttpClient (version 0.9 I think).

Anyone care to share how they handled this.

Regards,
Daniel

Below is the discusion on the HttpClient mailing list

Posted by Daniel Joshua <da...@gridnode.com>.
Yes, my point exactly... A named release would be great... ever if its only
a beta (ie. release candidate)
My project is against using nightly builds, but we been using
Struts 1.1 beta (only recently upgraged to official 1.1), HttpClient 2.0
beta 1, etc.

Anyone here also on the Slide-Dev mailing list? Could you help forward this
request. Thanks!

Regards,
Daniel

Posted by "K.C. Baltz" <kc...@lollimail.com>.

Posted by Ortwin Glück <or...@nose.ch>.
Daniel,

I guess the Slide people will happily check in a patch that migrates to
a current HttpClient build. Maybe ask on their list, if you can work on it.

Odi

RE: night build version

Posted by Daniel Joshua <da...@gridnode.com>.
Martin,

Thanks alot... will try it out...

Regards,
Daniel

Posted by Daniel Joshua <da...@gridnode.com>.
Martin,

Are you familiar with the file "webdavclient.jar"?

The above file was added (a year ago) to my project by another staff who is
no longer in the company.
As far as I can tell, it most closely resembles "slide-webdavlib.jar" of the
build you made.

Is there a way I can tell from which version of Slide is it from?

Regards,
Daniel

Re: night build version

Posted by Martin Taal <mt...@springsite.com>.
Hi,

RE: night build version

Posted by Daniel Joshua <da...@gridnode.com>.

night build version

Posted by Henry Lu <zh...@umich.edu>.

Posted by Daniel Joshua <da...@gridnode.com>.
There should be some documentation on both projects web sites stating their
'connectedness' of lack of it...

I bet I am not the only one who ended up with this problem...

Regards,
Daniel

Posted by Adrian Sutton <ad...@intencha.com>.

Posted by Adrian Sutton <ad...@intencha.com>.
On Thursday, July 24, 2003, at 10:47  PM, Michael Becke wrote:

> On Thursday, July 24, 2003, at 08:33 AM, Adrian Sutton wrote:
>
>> There are a few options here:
>>
>> a. Check out the slide sources and build against HttpClient beta 2
>> instead of HEAD (all the compile errors that I can see are due to the
>> changes on the HEAD branch and won't be in the 2.0 release).
>
> Yes, the errors are because Slide is using deprecated methods in 2.0
> that were removed in 2.1.

There's also the int/long change for getResponseContentLength() which
causes the compile to break on one or the other.  Perhaps we should
rethink the decision to just change that return type?

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.

Posted by Adrian Sutton <ad...@intencha.com>.
There are a few options here:

Posted by Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Martin Holz <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>.
"Daniel Joshua" <da...@gridnode.com> writes:

> >We use the latest beta releases of HttpClient with
> >a CVS build of the WebDAV client. Works fine.
>
> Fisrt, I have checked http://jakarta.apache.org/site/binindex.cgi
> and the latest release build for download is Slide 1.0.16.
>
> Also, I was looking at the Slide documentation and there is mention of Slide
> 2.0.0
> Where can I download this.

Slide 2.0 is not released and there is no such thing as nightly build.
You have to build it from CVS.

> Second, will upgrading to a the new webdavclient.jar cause a lot of breaks
> in my project existing coding? Or is it backward compatible?

It's not completely backward compatible. Don't know how much has changed,
since we used CVS builds from the start.

RE: FW: Commons-HttpClient conflict with WebDAVClient

Posted by Daniel Joshua <da...@gridnode.com>.
>We use the latest beta releases of HttpClient with
>a CVS build of the WebDAV client. Works fine.

Fisrt, I have checked http://jakarta.apache.org/site/binindex.cgi
and the latest release build for download is Slide 1.0.16.

Also, I was looking at the Slide documentation and there is mention of Slide
2.0.0
Where can I download this.

PS: please tell me that I need to use a CVS build...

Second, will upgrading to a the new webdavclient.jar cause a lot of breaks
in my project existing coding? Or is it backward compatible?

Regards,
Daniel

> My project uses WebDAVClient for remote file access. Recently I tried to
add
> Commons-HttpClient 2 beta 1 to my project.
>
> This cause problems as WebDAVClient already packages an older version of
> HttpClient (version 0.9 I think).
>
> Anyone care to share how they handled this.

We use the latest beta releases of HttpClient with
a CVS build of the WebDAV client. Works fine.

By the way, I don't expect any release of the slide server
anytime soon. What do people think about a 2.0 release  of the
WebDAV client as soon as HTTP client 2.0 final is released?

--
Martin Holz     <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>

Softwareentwicklung / Vernetztes Studium - Chemie
FIZ CHEMIE Berlin
Franklinstrasse 11
D-10587 Berlin

RE: FW: Commons-HttpClient conflict with WebDAVClient

Posted by Daniel Joshua <da...@gridnode.com>.

Posted by Martin Holz <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>.