Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by "renaud@apache.org" <re...@apache.org> on 2007/09/01 21:28:12 UTC

Re: hadoop on single machine

hi Tomislav,
> Hi Renaud,
> thank you for your reply. This is valuable information, but can you
> elaborate a little bit more, like:
>
> you say: Nutch is "always" using Hadoop.
>
> I assume it does not uses Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS) when
> running on a single machine by default?
>
> hadoop homepage says:  Hadoop implements MapReduce, using the HDFS
>
> If there is no distributing file sistem over computer nodes (single
> machine configuration) what does Hadoop do?

Well, you're not using the full potential of Hadoop's HDFS when using
Nutch on a single machine (still, Hadoop is handling the map-reduce
logic, the configuration objects, etc). It's like using a chainsaw to
cut a toothpick ;-) Nevertheless, Nutch is a very good choice for
single-machine deployments: high-performance, reliable and easy to
customize.
> When running crawl/recrawl cycle-> generate/fetch/update
> what processes is Hadoop running?
Have a look at the class Crawl.java
> How can I monitor them to see what is
> going on (like how many urls are fetched and how many are still
> unfetched from fetchlist)? Is there a GUI for this?

No GUI, but the command line tools can give you informations (e.g.
readdb http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/nutch-0.8-dev/bin/nutch%20readdb)
> you say: Fetching 100 sites of 1000 nodes with a single machine should
> definitively be OK
>
> What about recrawl on a regular basis (once a day or even more often)?

It depends on your configuration and connection, but you can expect to
fetch 10-30 pages / second. So for 100K pages, it will take < 3h
Re disk space, with an estimate of 10k/page for the index, it will take
you ~1GB disk space
See more on http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/HardwareRequirements

HTH,
Renaud

Re: hadoop on single machine

Posted by Tomislav Poljak <tp...@gmail.com>.
Hi Renaud,
what would be a recommended hardware specification for a machine running
searcher web application with 15K users per day using this index (100K
pages)? What is a good practice for
getting index from crawl machine to search machine (if using separate
machines for crawl and search)?

Thanks,
     Tomislav