Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/04 20:13:42 UTC

Clarification of copyright assignments for contributions etc (was Fwd: C++ code contribution(

On the ActiveMQ project we've been contacted by Amazon who've written
a C++ client for ActiveMQ and they want to donate it to Apache. They
have signed a software grant which is on file. They sent us a tarball
which looked good; apart from the source files had Amazon copyright
assignments on them.

We asked them to switch to the standard Apache license header but then
their legal team seems to have got stuck with not knowing the
situation of Amazon v Apache copyrights etc.

Here's their reply...

On 6/27/06, Lusk, Andrew <an...@amazon.com> wrote:
> Since our last correspondence, we've been trying to get the lawyers to figure out the conflicting copyright needs (their requirement for all outgoing source to be under Amazon.com copyright and your requirement for all incoming source to be under Apache copyright are butting heads).

Over the years I've heard mixes messages on this one so I wanted to
check with legal-discuss for a definitive answer. Whats the current
answer for what happens with copyrights when files switch to use the
Apache header - I thought the previous copyright notice should be
removed right? They keep copyright on their version of the files but
are they donating copyright to Apache?

Am just looking for a good answer I can give back to Amazon's legal
team to help get their lawyers unstuck so they can continue with their
contribution :)
--

James
-------

Re: Clarification of copyright assignments for contributions etc (was Fwd: C++ code contribution(

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Jul 5, 2006, at 10:16 AM, Cliff Schmidt wrote:
> On 7/5/06, Stephen McConnell (DPML) <mc...@apache.org> wrote:
>> This seems to contradict an earlier post from Roy Fielding
>> posted on this list.

I was referring to the state of affairs as of last month.  I have no
idea what, if any, resolution was recently passed by the board.  In any
case, if the board decides to mandate a single policy, then the PMC must
obey that policy when it evaluates a contribution.

....Roy

Re: Clarification of copyright assignments for contributions etc (was Fwd: C++ code contribution(

Posted by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@gmail.com>.
On 7/5/06, Stephen McConnell (DPML) <mc...@apache.org> wrote:

Cliff

Re: Clarification of copyright assignments for contributions etc (was Fwd: C++ code contribution(

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

On 6/07/2006 1:03 AM, Stephen McConnell (DPML) wrote:
> This seems to contradict an earlier post from Roy Fielding
> posted on this list.

I don't see a conflict since the text I pasted referred to the copyright
owner or their agent removing the notice, not members of the PMC. I
believe the policy later goes on to say that the PMC might do so, but
only with the copyright owners permission.

- Brett

RE: Clarification of copyright assignments for contributions etc (was Fwd: C++ code contribution(

Posted by "Stephen McConnell (DPML)" <mc...@apache.org>.

Steve.

--------------------------
Stephen McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@dpml.net
http://www.dpml.net

Re: Clarification of copyright assignments for contributions etc (was Fwd: C++ code contribution(

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Passed by the board recently:

"  1. If the source file is submitted with a copyright notice included
in it, the copyright owner (or owner's agent) must either:
     a. remove such notices, or
     b. move them to the NOTICE file associated with each applicable
project release, or
     c.  provide written permission for the ASF to make such removal or
relocation of the notices.
   2. Each source file should include the following license header --
note that there should be no copyright notice in the header:"

So, they need to move the copyright notice from the source files to the
NOTICE file distributed with the code.

The full message is here:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200606.mbox/%3c1551070F-EDE7-40DC-9C97-79BF24E9FD59@apache.org%3e

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Apache Maven - http://maven.apache.org/

Re: Clarification of copyright assignments for contributions etc (was Fwd: C++ code contribution(

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 05 July 2006 02:13, James Strachan wrote:
> Over the years I've heard mixes messages on this one so I wanted to
> check with legal-discuss for a definitive answer. Whats the current
> answer for what happens with copyrights when files switch to use the
> Apache header - I thought the previous copyright notice should be
> removed right? They keep copyright on their version of the files but
> are they donating copyright to Apache?

Yes, what Brett is saying is correct. Note in B2 of the resolution "there
should be no copyright notice in the header".
The previous "Copyright 2006 Apache Software Foundation" in the source files
are not accurate. Apache do not operate with Copyright assigns, and the
contributor will keep that.

So the question to Amazon is whether they are concerned over "keeping the
Copyright" (which they do) or the concern is over keeping their Copyright
mark in source files" (which they won't).

If some files are used elsewhere, they are of course free to keep that and do
whatever they want, and their will not be any Copyright or licensing
conflicts in the future as the "license contribution" will be properly
registered.

Cheers
Niclas

<disclaimer>IANAL</disclaimer>