Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Steve Hayden <hs...@yahoo.com> on 2011/10/10 23:43:17 UTC

Question regarding migration from ApachDS 1.5.5 to 2.0

Greetings,

We are in the process of migrating from ApacheDS 1.5.5 to ApacheDS 2.0, and are seeing a lot of exceptions with regard to the following imports/etc (the following is actually a subset of the errors we are seeing, which are mostly "cannot be resolved"):

import org.apache.directory.server.core.entry.ServerEntry;

import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.exception.LdapNameAlreadyBoundException;
import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.filter.ExprNode;
import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.filter.FilterParser;
import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.filter.SearchScope;
import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.message.AliasDerefMode;

import org.apache.directory.server.core.filtering.EntryFilteringCursor;
import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.entry.Entry;
import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.entry.EntryAttribute;
import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.entry.Modification;
import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.entry.ModificationOperation;
import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.entry.Value;
import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.entry.client.ClientModification;
import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.entry.client.DefaultClientAttribute;
import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.exception.LdapAttributeInUseException;
import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.exception.LdapNameNotFoundException;
import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.name.LdapDN;

import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.exception.LdapContextNotEmptyException;

import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.schema.AttributeType;

import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.constants.SchemaConstants;

I can find most of these classes/etc. in the JAR "apacheds-service-2.0.0-M3.jar", but they seem to be in different folder/directory structure (e.g. the old "org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.filter.FilterParser" is now in "/apache/directory/shared/ldap/model/filter/FilterParser"), however, other classes (seem) to have been totally rewritten (e.g. "org.apache.directory.server.core.entry.ServerEntry" now (seems) to be "

./apache/directory/server/core/entry/ServerEntryFactory" with other associated class files (./apache/directory/server/core/entry/ServerEntryFactory.class
./apache/directory/server/core/entry/ServerEntryUtils$1.class
./apache/directory/server/core/entry/ServerEntryUtils$2.class
./apache/directory/server/core/entry/ServerEntryUtils.class

(we created some of our code based on examples found on the web for Apache 1.5.5).

My questions are:

1) Is there a "migration path" from earlier to current versions?
2) What classes have simply been "relocated" within the path hierarchy, and what have been radically re-written (see next question)?
3) Given we have written code using as examples what we found on the web, is it a radical re-write to migrate From ApacheDS 1.5.x to ApacheDS 2.0?

Thanks in advance for any insight/advice.

Kindest regards,
Steve Hayden

Re: Question regarding migration from ApachDS 1.5.5 to 2.0

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 5:43 PM, Steve Hayden <hs...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> We are in the process of migrating from ApacheDS 1.5.5 to ApacheDS 2.0, and are seeing a lot of exceptions with regard to the following imports/etc (the following is actually a subset of the errors we are seeing, which are mostly "cannot be resolved"):
>

> import org.apache.directory.server.core.entry.ServerEntry;
>
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.exception.LdapNameAlreadyBoundException;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.filter.ExprNode;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.filter.FilterParser;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.filter.SearchScope;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.message.AliasDerefMode;
>
> import org.apache.directory.server.core.filtering.EntryFilteringCursor;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.entry.Entry;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.entry.EntryAttribute;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.entry.Modification;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.entry.ModificationOperation;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.entry.Value;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.entry.client.ClientModification;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.entry.client.DefaultClientAttribute;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.exception.LdapAttributeInUseException;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.exception.LdapNameNotFoundException;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.name.LdapDN;
>
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.exception.LdapContextNotEmptyException;
>
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.schema.AttributeType;
>
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.constants.SchemaConstants;
>

> I can find most of these classes/etc. in the JAR "apacheds-service-2.0.0-M3.jar", but they seem to be in different folder/directory structure (e.g. the old "org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.filter.FilterParser" is now in "/apache/directory/shared/ldap/model/filter/FilterParser"), however, other classes (seem) to have been totally rewritten (e.g. "org.apache.directory.server.core.entry.ServerEntry" now (seems) to be "
>
> ./apache/directory/server/core/entry/ServerEntryFactory" with other associated class files (./apache/directory/server/core/entry/ServerEntryFactory.class
> ./apache/directory/server/core/entry/ServerEntryUtils$1.class
> ./apache/directory/server/core/entry/ServerEntryUtils$2.class
> ./apache/directory/server/core/entry/ServerEntryUtils.class
>

> (we created some of our code based on examples found on the web for Apache 1.5.5).
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1) Is there a "migration path" from earlier to current versions?
sadly no
> 2) What classes have simply been "relocated" within the path hierarchy, and what have been radically re-written (see next question)?
most of the classes were mainly renamed or relocated, not much change
in terms of implementation
> 3) Given we have written code using as examples what we found on the web, is it a radical re-write to migrate From ApacheDS 1.5.x to ApacheDS 2.0?

I would suggest to put the migration on hold till at least 2.0.0-M4
comes out cause there is currently a lot of package reorganization is
happening

--
Kiran Ayyagari