Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Tilo Lier <tL...@wachter-is.com> on 2000/07/11 15:15:04 UTC

Font Including Status

[NEWBIE QUESTION]

Hi,
after reading quite a lot in the list-archive i have the following
questions:

1.) What is the status to include an arbitrary T1 or TT font with FOP in the
PDF? Is somone working on this issue? Is there already some code?

2.) Whats about Hyphenation? Is somone working on this issue? Is there
already some code?

Thanks a lot

Tilo Lier

Wachter GmbH - www.wachter-is.com

Re: Font Including Status

Posted by Fotis Jannidis <fo...@lrz.uni-muenchen.de>.
From:           	"Tilo Lier" <tL...@wachter-is.com>

> Hi,
> after reading quite a lot in the list-archive i have the following
> questions:
>
> 1.) What is the status to include an arbitrary T1 or TT font with FOP in the
> PDF? Is somone working on this issue? Is there already some code?

In June Alain Fagot has done some work on this. He hasn't finished his work and his
contribution hasn't been committed until now, but you can find it at
http://www.kameleono.demon.nl/FOP/

> 2.) Whats about Hyphenation? Is somone working on this issue? Is there
> already some code?

No. And I am sure that we won't have time and people to recode this anew, so I think we
should see, that we can make use of the knowledge which has been put into something
like TeX, maybe a Fop interface to the TeX hyphenation rules files? In August a Java
based TeX implementation should be out; maybe we can - if their license is friendly
enough - learn something there. Maybe somebody else knows another open source for
multilingual hyphenation rules?

Fotis

Re: Font Including Status

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
Hi, Tilo

These are currently areas of deficiency. Namely, you can't do arbitrary
fonts, and FOP uses a simple sentence-breaking strategy.

I suspect that I will be involved with pagination issues for a few more
weeks. However, the points you mention are top of the list, and I'd like to
look at both of them starting soon.

If you have viewpoints, I invite you to participate in the discussions on
this forum.

Arved Sandstrom

At 02:15 PM 7/11/00 +0100, Tilo Lier wrote:
>[NEWBIE QUESTION]
>
>Hi,
>after reading quite a lot in the list-archive i have the following
>questions:
>
>1.) What is the status to include an arbitrary T1 or TT font with FOP in the
>PDF? Is somone working on this issue? Is there already some code?
>
>2.) Whats about Hyphenation? Is somone working on this issue? Is there
>already some code?
>
>Thanks a lot
>
>Tilo Lier

>Wachter GmbH - www.wachter-is.com

Senior Developer
e-plicity.com (www.e-plicity.com)
Halifax, Nova Scotia
"B2B Wireless in Canada's Ocean Playground"