Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU> on 2001/02/02 18:53:25 UTC

New expat (was Re: Some XML Questions)

> If I had to vote, I guess I'd be -0.  Even if we import a static
> `new' expat into our tree, it adds the risks of new bugs, while
> solving a problem we don't have.

I think we might have a problem in the long run.  Right now, if an
application wants to use a Subversion library, it has to use
expat-lite.  Suppose the application also wanted to use the real expat
for other purposes; would there be a namespace conflict?

To be honest, I don't know if that's a real problem now or whether
upgrading would help eliminate it.  More study required.  But it's a
possibility.

Re: New expat (was Re: Some XML Questions)

Posted by Sam TH <sa...@uchicago.edu>.
On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 11:39:10AM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 01:53:25PM -0500, Greg Hudson wrote:
> > > If I had to vote, I guess I'd be -0.  Even if we import a static
> > > `new' expat into our tree, it adds the risks of new bugs, while
> > > solving a problem we don't have.
> >
> > I think we might have a problem in the long run.  Right now, if an
> > application wants to use a Subversion library, it has to use
> > expat-lite.  Suppose the application also wanted to use the real expat
> > for other purposes; would there be a namespace conflict?
> >
> > To be honest, I don't know if that's a real problem now or whether
> > upgrading would help eliminate it.  More study required.  But it's a
> > possibility.
>
> Exactly. This was my comment about expat-lite not being able to live in the
> same address space as the real expat (or heck, Apache's expat-lite!)
>
> Note that Apache is intending to lose its copy of expat-lite, too, in favor
> of a released version.

I hope you'll excuse me if I find this funny. :-)

When you figure out exactly what you want, let me know, and I'll do
it.

With regards to CVS vs released, I understand the desire to use a
released version as a baseline (and it's a good idea).  However, there
are at least a couple fixes (at least one of which isn't even in CVS,
since I submitted it about 3 hours ago) which will be neccessary.  So
I reccommend starting from a CVS build right now, and moving to the
next release whenever it comes out.

	sam th
	sam@uchicago.edu
	http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
	GnuPG Key:
	http://www.abisource.com/~sam/key

Re: New expat (was Re: Some XML Questions)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 01:53:25PM -0500, Greg Hudson wrote:
> > If I had to vote, I guess I'd be -0.  Even if we import a static
> > `new' expat into our tree, it adds the risks of new bugs, while
> > solving a problem we don't have.
>
> I think we might have a problem in the long run.  Right now, if an
> application wants to use a Subversion library, it has to use
> expat-lite.  Suppose the application also wanted to use the real expat
> for other purposes; would there be a namespace conflict?
>
> To be honest, I don't know if that's a real problem now or whether
> upgrading would help eliminate it.  More study required.  But it's a
> possibility.

Exactly. This was my comment about expat-lite not being able to live in the
same address space as the real expat (or heck, Apache's expat-lite!)

Note that Apache is intending to lose its copy of expat-lite, too, in favor
of a released version.

Cheers,
-g

--